1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Prints ending mid or early

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KADOW, Aug 15, 2018.

1. KADOW

KADOW New Member

So i have an E3d installed from printed solid I have printes calibration cubes and they come out pretty good but thats is all i can print.
    When ever i try to print anything larger like the Bitsy spider on thingaverse it just quits extruding all together about 20 minutes in to the print.
    And it seems it will only extrude after i extrude about 100mm of filament through manually if i dont it will not extrude at all.

I really want to get this sorted out id like to actually start printing again.
    So far i have calibrated the z axis per the videos on the Robo website to make sure they are level.
    I have tried a few different filaments pla and abs.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. KADOW

KADOW New Member

Yes i had an oiler printed by a friend because i can not even print that out. I also have made sure it is extruding the correct length of filament.
    I did not have these isues until I uprgraded the hot end.
    I also cleaned the hobbed bolt and adjusted the tensioner per the instructions i found.
    I have never had to use and oiler before and it has printed fine is this something to do with the E3D hotend?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, mostly the nozzle :)
    All you need to do is change the nozzle and you can suddenly need seasoning. That is the part that needs it, not really the hotend.
    I got bit by that first time I changed nozzles.

Only other thing is to check the GCode terminal for any errors. Something else may be stalling your print.

5. KADOW

KADOW New Member

Ok i will keep trying the seasoning any sugestions on oils and why would it print at all with or with out seasoning ? Also you mentioned g code what could be going on there a z axis issue I know the E3D and the hexagon are different lengths? Because at first it wouldnt even print the first layer it was so close to the bed it never scratched it but even after auto level it still didnt make a correct first layer.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The length does not matter. The Extruder IS the Z probe so it knows where it is when it hits the bed,.
    That is how the autoleveling on that machine works.

The autoleveling Z offset is required for the autoleveling to correctly compensate for your specific machine.
    Most everyone has a different one.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Your startup GCode should look something like this:

G28 X0 Y0 Z0 ; home all axes
    M565 Z-1.0 ;set teh Z offset for autolkeveling
    G29 ; probe the bed
    M109 S[temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait

You test and tweak to get your Z offset dialed in correctly. None of mine are -1.0 :)
    None of yours likely will be either, but it is a good starting point

8. KADOW

KADOW New Member

Thank you i will try that tomorrow and get into the startup for the printer amd see how it goes also what do you use to season your nozzle ?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Canola oil. Any vegetable oil will work, Canola is just one of the better choices due to smoke point.