1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Prints great at 0.2 but cannot print at 0.1

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by anoble66, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anoble66

anoble66 New Member

Hi All,

I have tried Repetier, Cura, Matter Control and now Simplify3D and I just cannot get my Robo to print at 0.1 layer height. I am pretty sure this is probably a calibration issue with my printer but just need some advice where to concentrate. At 0.2 layer heights I can print perfectly every time. My printer has a grooved hobbed bolt and E3d installed. Reason I mention the hobbed bolt is that I tweaked the extruder esteps. Pretty confident in my setting of 735 esteps and when I print a 20mm calibration cube, I get nearly dead-on 20mm in all dimensions (0.2 layers)

So, back to the problem. To me it nearly looks like I start to under-extrude at 0.1 layer heights. The filament when laid down tends to be wispy, especially noticeable when the print head starts infill moves. So what should look like a rectangular infill, looks a bit random, wispy and a mess. I will grab some pictures when I can as it will probably help more then my description.

All my speed settings, flow rates etc have been left at defaults across all the slicers. Do you think this is simply a speed issue? One thing I have not done is to use bed levelers and I do know my bed is raised in the middle...which is probably not helping. Could this be a sign the y belt is too tight? But I have tested with a very small part (the Marvin keychain) in the centre of the bed and I still cannot put down consistent 0.1 layers. I of course check my z-stop, and the initial layers going down look flat as expected.

Any thoughts on areas to focus or tweak?

Thanks for the help fellow robo-ers :)

2 people like this.
  2. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

try to set the first layer to be 200 microns and the rest 100 microns.

default settings are settings made by a good starter value. You need to calibrate the settings to fit your printer. For example you may need to change the heat settings or the cooling on specific layers.

also you mentioned that you twekaed the steps for the extruder but have you calibrated the extruder? there is a thread somewhere about calibration of the extruder.

make sure t change settings in SMALL mounts becuase too big of a change could be an issue.

tip: i find that using cura is better for 100 micron prints becuase the slicing is quicker and looks better.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can also try bumping the extrusion % (essentially the flow rate) up little-by-little until you see what you expect. That will help judge how far off the numbers might be.

Oh, and another thing, at that layer height (.1) I had to slow things way the heck down speed-wise--assuming I left all of the other settings 'as-is'.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I made it down to .01 or ten microns so it is possible I just had to fine tune the inital layer height at that thickness it is all translucent so one would look like a height that is too low will actually be OK the main thing is that how it prints will be the same so instead of having an opaque first layer if you are using an opaque filament it will be translucent but still fully formed. If any other changes occur other then translucency then the first height is off

5. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

Same here. E3D prints perfectly at 200 micron, but tend to under-extrude at 100 micron. I'm still looking at hobb and tensioner issues...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. anoble66

anoble66 New Member

thanks all for the suggestions. I will try adjusting speed and flowrate to see if i can at least bandaid the issue for now. But I would of thought that if i am printing fine at o.2 then the flowrate should be good? Pretty sure the layer height is good too as the first layer is flat and fairly transparent. In fact its really once it starts the faster moves that the issue begins so must be speed \ flow related somehow. I might also try putting down a raft first just in case this is somekind of bed level issue.

I will do some tweaking and report back :)

7. Peter

Peter Member

I'm printing at 50microns with E3d and 0.25mm nozzle, had to cut flow down to 85% so the base layers werent overfilled, then had to boost it to 110% so that the perimeter walls werent 'porous' with little holes (not steam related).
    Very tricky, also had to increase temp to 210 as i was getting jams. Its difficult, seems like settings need constant twiddling. Probably combo of cheap filament and bad hobb.

8. Peter

Peter Member

With the 0.4mm nozzle?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.