1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Protopasta PLA?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SteveDjarrell, Sep 17, 2017.

1. SteveDjarrell

SteveDjarrell Active Member

Good evening 3d Printing Guru's... Looking for a little advice, I have recently acquired a roll of proto-pasta Carbon Fiber PLA. I am having one heck of a time printing with it. I am running this stuff thru my R2 and Only got one part out of it, a small one. Seems to get the extruder clicking/skipping about 3-15 layers into it. I am not sure what else to do. I made sure to brace the PTFE and ribbon cable up into a nice arch, this really helped with friction in the PTFE tube. I have done more first layer correction than I like to admit (prints a beautiful first layer), I have run with extruder temps from 190-230, bed temps from 50-70. I checked the heat sink and it is cool so I do not think it is heat creep but I'll leave it off for a few hours and test again. I read that a .6mm nozzle was recommended so I order one of those. So anyone got any tips for this stuff? I kind of need to get a few parts done but it is suck a PITA. thanks in advanced for any and all advice.

I will note that on my R1 I had to increase the extrusion multiplier to 1.3. That was with a Prometheus V2 and not a hex. I do not think that is part of my issue here but want to throw that out there.

-Steve

2. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

I don't have experience with that particular material, only the standard Proto-pasta HTPLA v3, which seemed to work fine. In any case, the R2 is known for heat creep, which can cause clogs while printing. Try printing with the door open, and perhaps with the heat bed off (if the filament allows for it), to reduce chances of that happening. Also, give this model a try, which was shared by @jwmueller on this forum, and should redirect some more of the airflow to the cold part of the hotend, again reducing the chances of heat creep. You can also take a look at my thread on ColorFabb PLA/PHA, where I was getting a similar issue.

On a different note, have you installed a hardened nozzle? Carbon fibre is an abrasive material, which will tear a wider hole in a standard brass nozzle and render it useless fairly quickly.

3. SteveDjarrell

Thank you, that is too funny I was going to report back and say it was heat-creep. Ran over night with no issues. Lowest heat setting I could get to extrude 190. Front plate off the hot end and the door open. Looks like I know what I am doing today.... time to design a new carriage with two fan and better parts fans, I agree they are not ideal, and I want to get two e3d v6 in there. Thank you for the reply you are dead on it. Cold end got pretty warm definitely not ideal. Will put up a design in a few days after I test and tweak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson and sgomes like this.
  4. SteveDjarrell

Forgot to answer about the nozzle, yes I have a hardened Steele nozzle on now. Just ordered another .6mm hardened Steele.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk