1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Question about the Z-offset

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Vkial, Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vkial

Vkial Member

So let me explain my question,

I have a big issue with my robo R1, my first answer at the issue was to change the hotend by a e3dv6 but right now i'm not sure if it's the hotend that caused my problem.
    Well my problem is simple on the first layer the extrusion stop literally the hobbed bolt continue to turn but the filament doesn't go through the head. I must to push on the filament to re launch the extrusion. So like i said my first reaction was to disassembled the head to see if i have the problem of gap between the metal parts and the PTFE and it was the case. I try to fix it but i was'nt able to do it. So in my mind i order a e3dv6 to change it and to fix my problem.

But i see other post right now with some Z value totally different of me. On my sheet of paper the value is 0.10 but most of other value i can see is 0.7 0.95 1.45 !!!!

I wonder that my value is too low and with this so fine gap between the head and the print bed she create a clogged a nozzle ??

Am i right if i say that the z offset is the value that managed the gap between the head and the print bed ???

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sounds too low. Mine fluctuates, last calibration was 0.8mm

Ignore what they said, it depends on the seperation distance of the switches from the idlers. It can change. Best to try tightening down the plastic part holding the z switches

To calibrate home your z axis in the center of the bed. Then raise it up .1mm at a time until you see it come off the build plate. Then drop it by .1. That's your new z offset.

3. Vkial

Vkial Member

When you said home your z axis it means to put the head on the bed ???

So if i understand to start my head must be on the bed in the center of it, i raise it up by .1mm until i see to come off the bed and when i see it i drop it .1 and i read the value on the screen it's my new z offset.

Sounds like it's the same method with the sheet of paper for the robo with no auto level ???

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

basically but this just defines the z offset, the auto leveling uses that new home value to compensate the error values.

5. Vkial

Vkial Member

Ok but if the z offset is too low like mine it can be possible to clogged my nozzle like i said ???

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah it'll definitely clog the nozzle if the filament can't flow out at the rate it's expecting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.