1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Questions about support layers/material

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mark tomlinson, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Does anyone have some pointers or links to help with this sort of thing? My few initial attempts to use models that require this were, well, not good :)

I am sure it is something I am mis-setting Repeteir somewhere.

2. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

this may be a bug in slic3r. If I may what material are you using and why raft I really have yet to find a good time to use them.

They are used mainly get a flat layer to adhere to the bed with small spokes attaching it to the print thus holding the print down. If you are using PLA and you can't get your print to stick then I think something else is incorrect as PLA sticks well if other things are set correctly.

The bad part about rafts is that they do not allow for a very nice finish

TBH I do not know of many robo people using rafts on a regular basis and especially so for PLA prints

ABS maybe but if you can't get PLA to stick I think you may have other setup issues.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I was really more concerned with support layers where the model is not touching the base/ground.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Is there not a way to have these support material/layers auto-generated? More of a Repetier question than a Robo 3D one :)

The raft layers I can see are less useful (although there is that Repetier bug there if you think you need them--so be careful).

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

yes there is a setting in slic3r that sets them to either on or off and gives you patterns you can set and scale and everything they wont show in the slicer but are in the gcode

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.