1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Questions before buying

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Taylor, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Taylor

Taylor Member

Hi guys, so I'm finally starting to look at getting the Robo again and have a few questions. How does the Robo R1 compare to something like the FlashForge Pro? The reason I asked is I had the FF Pro for a few months and always had problems with it especially with the bed calibration. I always had to calibrate that thing. The biggest selling point I like with the RoBo is the auto bed leveling,is it truly auto leveling where I can just press print and not have to worry about it? How's the quality of the prints? And lastly how's the build quality?

I know I will have to do some tweaking and maitnence but the biggest thing I'm looking for is not having to calibrate the heat bed all the time.

Thanks for the help!

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well I don't have any personal experience with the FF Pro.

The Robo3d has Autoleveling, but it's a little different from auto-tramming. It works by probing the bed at 9 points and measures the Z value at these points. These values are then used to adjust the height of the print based on the X and Y location. The bed doesn't actually move but the Z axis will go up and down as it moves along to produce a smooth layer.

It can require a bit of calibration to determine the Z offset at first. Once you find the right offset you should rarely, if ever, need to mess with it. Gunk on the build surface can affect the reading as well.

Though from what I've seen most people don't even need to touch it at first and it works great.

The build quality and print quality is better than ever. There was a few manufacturing issues months ago but they seem to be resolved now and I've heard very few complaints from the most recent printers. They seem to have really figured it out.

Here's an example from a user who got their printer last month: http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/turn-off-support-material-around-print.3888/

That quality rivals anything I've seen from printers 3x the cost of the Robo.

Hopefully this answers your questions!

3 people like this.
  3. Taylor

Taylor Member

That was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much. Yea with the FF Pro the bed was constantly get out of level so my prints would sometimes be even in the front and gaps in the back,it drove me nuts. Thats why I wanted something that did auto leveling that would help so much. Thanks again Mike!

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

And I would add that even if you do hit a few issues, there are many very experienced users on the forum here willing to help.

2 people like this.
  5. Taylor

Taylor Member

Just making sure before I buy,the Robo 3D R1 on Amazon is the latest model and supported by the warranty correct? I wish I could order straight from Amazon but have a ton of amazon gift cards and financing if I get it from Amazon. Thanks guys!

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I can't guarantee exactly what model amazon has, but it's within the last 2 shipments that Robo received.

7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

The one on amazon from Robo3D is the R1. Not sure if there are other resellers out there selling older stock though.

As someone who has owned, sold, and serviced both, in all likelihood, you will spend more time messing around with the Robo to get great prints than you had to with your FF unless your FF was a total dud. The FF has plastic arms cantilevered out to support the bed, so there is some trickiness with that. They also have aluminum beds, which sometimes are not perfectly flat. The Robo has a glass bed and the autolevel compensation, so once you get those things figured out, you probably won't have those particular issues. With the FF, you were working within the makerbot ecosystem, so you could use makerware which is super easy to use (unless you were running repg with skeinforge for some reason). So, you'll need to get familiar with new slicers. Not a problem per se, but something to consider. I'd also say that the R1 is not capable of being run as fast as the FF machines. The one other thing you'll need to be aware of is the LCD and SD card. The FFs all have built in screens and SD card readers so you can run them without being connected to your computer. Robo can be upgraded to an LCD screen easily enough, but otherwise you will need to at least start with the printer connected to your computer.

Major positives on the R1 are that you are getting a bigger build volume, an all metal hot end capable of running a wider variety of materials, and out of the box design for PLA (the FF machines don't have cooling fans so you need to do some minor upgrading for quality PLA printing). As Ziggy mentions, I like to think we do pretty good as a community as well :)

8. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

I got mine off amazon, and is the newest, the quality control was good though, I had to go through and tighten all the wire connections, and the case was not put on properly, but other than that, I wouldn't think about buying anything else for the options that you get with the printer, and the community rocks.

9. Taylor

Taylor Member

Awesome,sounds great. I actually used S3D for my slicer which should work with Robo because there is a preset for it. The biggest thing with my FF is I would level the build plate and start the print,the print would start off great with great bed adhesion then a few hours later come back and noticed the print was knocked off the buld plate,I then started noticing the buld platform was again unlevel. It was just a very frustrating time,I was spending more time leveling the thing then I was printing with it.

10. Taylor

Taylor Member

Well I just ordered my Robo 3D off amazon with next day shipping so I'll get it tommrow. I'm so excited. Im sure you will see me tommrow with questions :) Does it come with instructions on how to be able to find the z offset if need be? I've searched and can't find them online. Once I do do I program the z offset in the firmware or just put it in the G code?

11. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

You can put in code like in cura, or if you use MatterControl there is a z offset in the printer slice settings. I used MatterControl for a few days, but found the structure support and the ability to do brims instead of rafts very usefull. MC will get you going but for more advanced printing you want something better, beit Cura or paid versions like Simplify 3d.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've seen a lot of people not need to do anything.

Best way to do offset is to manually figure it out. Home the nozzle then raise it up 0.1mm at a time until's a little bit above the bed, then lower it back down. Keeping track of how many times you've clicked it.

Generally this results in a little bit too high. So it's a bit of trial and error.

Best advise is start with painters tape. It makes it much more forgiving.

Whatever you do don't do the paper calibration method.

13. Taylor

Taylor Member

Gotcha,So hypothetically it takes lets say 3 clicks then you click it down one so my Z offset would be 2 then correct?
    Sorry I just want to get as much info as I can for tomorrow.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Correct. It's a little hit or miss and not really a sure fire way of doing it. Usually starting with an offset of 0.7mm would be good then if it's too low increasing it step by step until you're dead on is best.

2 people like this.
  15. Taylor

Taylor Member

Awesome! Thank you so much for the help. Hopefully I wont run into any troubles but if I do I feel reassured having such a great community to help!

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Fingers crossed for a smooth install! My skype is in my profile if you need more help