1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved R1+ not cooling down after installing Marlin 2.0

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Joseph Stevens, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Joseph Stevens

Joseph Stevens New Member

As soon as I turn on the printer, the hot end heats up to about 160, and it won't respond when I set the target temp to zero. I don't know for sure if this is due to the Marlin upgrade but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. I'm also expecting a V6 hot end in the mail today so I'll be switching out the heater core and thermistor, but I want to rule out a software problem first.

Edit: I installed the Marlin-bugfix-1.1.9 firmware, but the problem persists.

#1 Joseph Stevens, Jul 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is usually a failure of the RAMPS control board (the output MOSFET for the bed heater dies). Typical for RAMPS boards across all printers that use them really.

If it is an R1+ then either go buy a replacement RAMPS board from PartsBuilt.com or consider replacing it with an generic RAMPS 1.4 (they are quite cheap). There is a thread here on doing exactly that since it means a small amount of rewiring.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

and it is a bit confusing since sometimes the output MOSFET dies OPEN (in which case the bed will never heat) or it dies shorted (in which case it acts like you see).