1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered R1 printer with marlin firmware unresponsive to z-offset changes.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John Coble, May 22, 2021.

1. John Coble

John Coble New Member

Howdy from Texas! Just a couple of days ago I decided to install some custom firmware for the good ol R1. After trying to use both version 1.1.9 and marlin 2, Im able to dial in all the settings for the printer except for my z offset, it simply will not set when using the probe z offset. Im scratching my head on how to fix this. Ill attach a snip of that offset setting, I also want to add that I am also using a full graphics smart controller, I believe there are some on the fly z offset methods there.

upload_2021-5-22_18-4-31.png

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

When we talk of Z offset here we are not referring to the probe offset. That is the difference between the probe that senses the bed and the nozzle itself. On the R1/R1+ the nozzle IS the probe so that offset is -- zero. The offset you want to set is the autoleveling Z offset and with the version 1.0 Marlin that was the M565 command in the startup GCode. With 1.1.x or 2.0.x of Marlin it is not the M565, they deprecated that. However I am not well versed in those versions (I still use 1.0.x on all four of my R1 style machines). There are threads on the forum here that discuss it -- let me know if you can't find them. If you are going to stay on 1.1 or 2.0 then universal bed leveling (UBL) is probably your best bet.

3. John Coble

John Coble New Member

Ahhh I see, I knew the nozzle was the probe and didn't require an offset, but everywhere I looked to had me changing it. I'll try UBL but from what you've told me, the z offset command does not exist any longer?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Start reading here:

https://marlinfw.org/docs/features/auto_bed_leveling.html

Auto Bed leveling has changed a lot since v1.0

This is UBL via 1.1 as well : https://marlinfw.org/docs/features/unified_bed_leveling.html

I can't talk much about 2.0.x and what it adds/removes because I have not used it. Not needed it :)

With the newer types of leveling the Z offset was not needed since it was accommodated in the leveling setup (like MESH leveling... it already had the offset calculated in for the grids)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did I mention that leveling had changed a lot :)

6. John Coble

John Coble New Member

Ill play with UBL thanks a bunch! Been around 4 years since this printer ran and im trying to dial it back in, ran into alot of issues.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck. The issues were probably not directly related to the firmware :)
    You can get them working fine with MARLIN 1.0, but as long as you get it dialed in that is all that matters and a number of members have used 1.1 and 2.0 so it is a workable combination.

John Coble likes this.