1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved R1+ Quits Mid-Print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by conraad, Nov 6, 2016.

1. conraad

conraad New Member

I've been having some issues with my Robo3D R1+ where it will quit partway through the printing job. I've read about the thermistor potentially being an issue, but I don't think that's the case. In every failure, the extruder head will remain in its position (will not return to zero), and the temperature of both the extruder and bed are maintained. The fans also stay on, as if the print is still underway, but the motors aren't moving.

I will be trying another print soon to capture the terminal readout, but would appreciate some guidance if possible before then. Below is more details about my situation.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

General specifications:
    Slicer: Cura 2.1.2 with the files included in the thread on this forum tilted "Cura 2.1 Beta"
    Printing Environment: Cold garage (~17 degrees Celsius)
    Plastic: Robo3D PLA
    Extrusion Temp: 210
    Bed Temp: 50
    Fan shroud added to stock fan
    Usually printing with SD card

The point of failure has always been on a wall. I've included photos below that illustrate the problem.

The first image is with the part I first wanted to print. The second image is with a different, but similar part. Between all those prints, I changed settings like print speed and lowered the cooling fan percentage.

The third image is of the first part again, but with the holes removed. The two tests in that image are of the exact same gcode, the first one printing from SD card, and the second one (more successfully) printing from USB with MatterControl. The slicer settings were:
    Layer height: 0.4mm
    Perimeters: 3
    Top/Bottom Layers: 2
    Infill: 10% Grid
    Print speed: 60mm/s
    Cooling fan: 0% up to 40% by layer 5

Failure1.jpg

Failure2.jpg

Failure3.jpg

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Is the little fan cooling the RAMPS board still running? If that turns off during print, it can cause all sorts of problems.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

To find out what happened you are going to need to find the GCode terminal in your printing software (while you are printing via USB cable) and look through the entire log to find the error.

When you print from the SD card there is no way to capture the errors.

Rigmarol likes this.
  4. conraad

conraad New Member

About a week ago, the RAMPS fan started to complain when being powered on after being off overnight, but the noise subsides after 20 seconds and seems to function fine. I didn't check it after the prints though. I also do not have the printer on blocks like I've seen other people do.

I just find it weird that the prints would always fail on an inner wall, and often in a similar position. And that the USB print job lasted longer than SD card print job.

I'll try another test later tonight with the same piece again. If the RAMPS fan is the cause, what kind of error message will I expect to see in the terminal?

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, USB is slower than directly reading the GCode

No clue. When the electronics overheat all sorts of weirdness can ensure.