1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered R1 - Z Axis sensor always triggered

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rusty, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Rusty

Rusty New Member

Hi,

I have an original Robo 3D (R1). No changes have been made to the board or parts. I have updated to the most recent firmware (ROBO3DR1V3_06_11_2015).

The Z axis on my printer will raise, but not lower. This has never been an issue in the past. The Z axis sensor is "open" by default. If I activate (close) the sensor and then lower the z axis via Repetier, the z axis will move down. If the sensor is not activated (open), the z axis will think that it is at it's lowest point, as if it has been reset to this point every time it is raised.

How do I reverse the z axis sensor switch? I tried turning it around on the board but it didn't function at all.

I'm hoping this is a really quick fix!

Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Which one? There are two (left and right) on the R1.
    The original Beta had a single switch, but if you have a beta that is NOT the correct firmware.

The Beta was the original printer, then the R1, then the R1+

All have slightly different firmware.

3. Rusty

Rusty New Member

It must be the beta because I can not see a second Z axis sensor. Which firmware should I use for this?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Rusty likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can add the second switch and autoleveling to the beta for a very few dollars and a bit of time :)
    Then just use the latest R1 firmware (but not the R1+)

Rusty likes this.
  6. Rusty

Rusty New Member

Thank you so much! I have no idea how to go about applying any upgrades etc at the moment, but I have had auto levelling issues in the past so this will be something I'll definitely have to research!

Is there are "how to" guide for applying said upgrades?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Since that printer doesn't have autoleveling I see why that would be an issue :)

There is no guide that I am aware of.

Assuming a stock Beta you need two of these:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#90264a445/=115yd9y

Then print two of these:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:349935

Then you mount the switches like his picture shows and wire them in parallel and replace the NUTS on the threaded rods with the new (longer) ones. The mounting bracket for the switches clamps around this new nut (the bottom of it, the top slides into the carriage).

The Switches are wired to the NC pin creating a normally open circuit as the switches are always engaged when the carriage is working (nozzle not touching the bed). The home looks for a closed circuit (when not 'on the bed the switches are OPEN, when touching the bed one or both will be CLOSED). When the carriage is off the bed then it is pressing down on the switches keeping them OPEN and when the nozzle touches the bed one or more will lift up as it drives down.

Then land the sensor wires on exactly the same pin on the RAMPS as before.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have converted 3 beta units (so far) to use autoleveling. It is not a huge mod and takes a hour or so.

9. Rusty

Rusty New Member

Thanks :) Not a huge mod for an experienced 3D builder, but I will be allocating a fair bit of time to it!

Do the switches need to be replaced?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Take your time, ask anything you have questions about. It sounds way more difficult than it is. You are relocating one switch and adding a second switch in parallel and replacing two nuts :)

#10 mark tomlinson, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016