1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 quieter heatsink cooling fan mod

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by supercazzola, Jul 6, 2018.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Not such a super innovative mod, but I went to digikey and ordered the following parts (note, you will need one of the housings, two of the terminals, and one fan - I suggest buying more of the housings and terminals since they are also the same used for the thermistor on the R2. That, plus you may make a mistake.)

CONN HOUSING PH 2POS 2MM WHITE:
    455-1165-ND

CONN TERMINAL 28-24AWG TIN:
    455-2148-1-ND

FAN AXIAL 25X10MM 12VDC WIRE:
    259-1570-ND

I happen to own a crimper for the JST style terminals. Mine happens to be this one: http://a.co/1fHvBou

Anyway, it is a real simple mod. With the power off
    1. unplug the hot end heatsink cooling fan
    2. unscrew the 4 screws and remove the old fan. Notice the sticker side of the fan was toward the inside of the hotend.
    3. take your new fan, and trim the leads to the same size as the stock fan leads (about 50mm)
    4. crimp on some new terminals, and insert into the housing (paying attention to the orientation of the connector with respect to the red and black wires)
    5. install new fan. Secure with three of the four screws. keep old screw in your spare parts box.
    The outcome was really noticeably quieter.

IMG_7551.JPG

mark tomlinson likes this.