1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Ready to toss this in the trash...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Elizabeth, Apr 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

I understand that it's not plug and print, but reading through the forums and trying to troubleshooting has been a huge waste of time. Can someone maybe suggest something that I haven't already read and tried from these forums?

One of the biggest problems I'm having is that the prints are stringy with random clumps here and there. I've tried adjusting the Z axis, turning the machine off and back on, tried with Slicer and Cura, changed the speed of printing, changed the speed of extrusion, changed the temperature, every thing that people are suggesting to try.

Another issue is that the ABS is clogging the nozzle and just clumping. I've tried adjusting the heat and cleaned the nozzle. photo (1).JPG

The few things that have printed, other than the test boxes, have come out like the picture... stringy and not usable.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do you have PLA you can start with? PLA is a lot more forgiving and will help build confidence in the process.

Me or Tessarect can help over skype as well.

2 people like this.
  3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Elizabeth, Mike is correct either one can give you some assistance I agree completely with Mike drop the ABS for now. ABS has so many more things that can go wrong with it is very very hard to start with.

One thing you need to do when asking for help is to try and give as much info as possible about what settings you have for the particular print.

There are two major issues related to stringing like you see here. One is that the temp is too high or the retraction is set improperly. This can only be a guess based on what info you have given us.

please let us know things like:
    the extruder temp
    the bed temp
    the actual printing software Repetier, Cura, matterControl
    some additional data not needed all the time but for this issue would be the print speeds for different aspect also what are the retraction settings you are using.

One thing you also need to understnd is the fact that all filament is not the same you WILL find that the black from one vendor may be very differentl in how it prints from a different Vendor

Red is notorious in this way black and green are probably the next and then maybe blue

I would do myself a huge favor by trying to learn on PLA and drop ABS for now even if you have to order some

4. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Perhaps the stringy mess is due to the wrong height of the z axis. Is the filament being put down, rounded or flat looking? Should be flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

6. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Sorry for the delayed response... between getting ready for a new job and all of the carpet in our home to be replaced (packing up EVERYTHING, moving furniture, unpacking EVERYTHING, moving furniture back, hooking all the electronics back up) it's been a little crazy. So...Took a breath, realigned everything, ordered a new spool of PLA, tried the hairspray route with a brand new can of AquaNet and... it is printing great now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.