1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Replace LM8UU on X ends?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by RampsMaker, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RampsMaker

RampsMaker New Member

Hello all. I noticed earlier on my Robo that one of the z axis smooth rods have started to scratch a little just right before the screw hits the z endstop. I took the x carriage off to see if maybe one (or both) of the linear bearings are shot or maybe defective, and I was right... :) (for the first time.....). One of the bearings have significantly lost the balls in there. Anyways, I wanted to replace the lm8uus on the x ends and was wondering if there are any "special" ways of getting them out, or maybe someone can explain to me how? They're stuck on there pretty good and I just don't want to break or crack the x ends. Thanks.

Romel

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I personally used a bearing press to get it out.

Really you need something that can supply a lot of force, and something else that has a hole big enough for the bearing to pop through but supports the plastic of the carriage.

4. RampsMaker

RampsMaker New Member

Hmmm. The concept of warming it up and popping them off makes sense, but I'm a bit scared f this. I don't have a bearing press, nor do I know anyone who has one i can borrow... :) I may have to go with Ziggy's recommendation but as mentioned, this is a bit scary. Don't want to melt the whole thing..... Lol thanks for the reply guys, appreciate it very much.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Just get a tube of pvc and a c-clamp.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I would just try 45-50c (ie warm oven) with the c-clamp as Mike has suggested. At that temp there is no problem with ABS, in fact anything up to about 70C would be fine

7. RampsMaker

RampsMaker New Member

Thanks Ziggy and Mike. I'll take both of your advice into account and ill go ahead and try removing them sometime tomorrow. Thanks again and take care.

Romel

8. Jim K

Jim K Member

RampsMaker, which method ending up worked for you?

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Ive pressed a LOT of bearings with a drift, deadblow, leather/brass hammer or a vise. Just be aware of what youre hitting, and where to get a replacement. Ive actually only ever used a press for bushings... Pullers are cheap but for that size....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.