1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved replace PTFE tube e3dV6 hot end

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, Mar 2, 2022.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Cannot seem to remove the PTFE tube to replace it. Lost the blue collet that I think is only used to install (and remove????) the tube.

While I get ready to order the little blue devils and a new fitting as well, knowing how gentle I can be with parts, . . . is there any secret to getting the tube out? Pushing in, or pulling out, seems to have no effect. I cannot having only two hands, get the fitting compressed enough to, presumably, allow it to pull out.

2. fred3d

fred3d Member

Is this on a stock hot end? I upgraded to the E3Dv6 hot end and can't recall having the problem you describe.

If you can get a twist drill inside the PTFE tube, it will give you something to grip. You'd want to rotate the drill bit so it augers its way in, rather than drilling a hole.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can you remmove the heat break from the finned heat sinnk section? That will let you get it out. ?

4. joea

joea Active Member

I got it out, but had to destroy the black "collet". I've seen videos where all you had to do was push the collet "in" and slip the tube out. There was not all that much movement to the collet.

I suspect I may not have drilled out the carriage sufficiently when I first installed the hotend and may have compressed the collet a bit.

Got couple of days to look it over now, as I have to wait for new collets to come in. Gotta give a nod to Jonah and crew at partsbuilt.com for their assistance.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Heh, I just popped over there myself for a pile of extra bits/parts.
    Good folks.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You may not need the collet if you are not using a full-on bowden setup, but it does not hurt to use it.
    Sounds like you are making progress :)

7. joea

joea Active Member

Seems fine now. I cut the tube down a bit as it was the roller for the filament feed that was crushing the top of the tube. A few more things to sort out but that problem is solved.

mark tomlinson likes this.