1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Replaced the Bed and now issues.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nomad83, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Nomad83

Nomad83 Member

I finally got a replacement bed after my old one was shattered.

Got the magnets glued on which I was not thrilled to have to DIY but it seemed to go without issue.

Now I have issue after issue.

First few times to print it dragged the tip of the extruder across the top of the glass and wouldn't extrude and sanded partway through the non moving filament. Quick search and found a suggestion to change the Z offset.

So then I changed the Z offset to .4 mm and was able to start a print however it looks like crap after 10 mins to i canceled thinking need to tweak a heat setting, fans, speed etc.

Go to print again and it starts dragging on the glass again with no extrusion. The only other thing I can think off Is I'm using old improperly stored ABS since I wanted to verify proper operation before I order new filament.

Thoughts? Really getting frustrated as it worked well before the bed shattered and now its like it can figure out how to level itself and space itself out accordingly.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Have you checked the new bed for warping?

3. Nomad83

Nomad83 Member

No but I dont think it is. If i can find my nice ground flat level I'll check that.

I think i figure out one issue with the hexagon head leaking filament out of the threaded part on top. So I ordered a e3d v6 and will install it and see how that goes.

BTW is there any suggestions on replacing the cap screws that retain the hot end? Mine look partially stripped on the threads and I'm not sure what kind of cheap metal they are made out but the head feels like it could easily strip out at a moment's notice.

4. danzca6

Yes indeed. You can print yourself a quick release plate. It is what comes on the newer R1+ models. It's a plate that fits between the x carriage and the Greg's wade. It has a grooved slot that holds the hot end. You just loosen the two bolts that hold the Greg's wade and slide the plate out. The hotend will just drop out. Very nice upgrade to those screws.

So before you take the printer apart, print a quick release specific for the v6 and a new part coupling fan holder specific for the v6. Also if you go with the quick release plate, pick up a couple M4x24mm Phillips pan head bolts from your hardware store to account for the added thickness.

Here is a model on Thingiverse. It's close to the one I made but I haven't printed this one. I can upload my design as well if you want.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1192896

Rigmarol likes this.
  5. Nomad83

Nomad83 Member

Well that wont be possible since the old hot end snapped trying to take it apart to clean.

6. danzca6

argh...that is unfortunate. You can probably get by without the fan holder and if you can get the V6 installed the old fashion way you can then print those parts out. Just use a small fan and have it blow across the bed until you can get your fan mount printed.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if you need parts printed send me a PM and I'll print and send it to you.