1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo 3D Current sale value?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Printer999, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Printer999

Printer999 New Member

Hey Guys I don't know If this is the right place To post this but Barnacles has inspired me to buy a 3d printer specifically a Robo 3d. So basicly I dont want to wait for a 3d printer so I have found 2 different robos from kickstarters. What is the max I should be willing to pay for a PLA model then the max for a ABS model? the PLA model would cost me around $700 including shipping and the ABS for about $850-$900 including shipping. I would like to get the ABS for the heated bed even though I will be mostly printing PLA. But I wanted to know your opinions before I buy from either of these guys.

2. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

Those are fair prices for sure.

$750 if you want to wait 4 months...so how much is faster shipping worth to you? Ive seen them bring more.

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Yeah, having a heated bed is nice. I don't know if team Robo has straightened it out yet, but some heated bed models had issues with overheating components and shorting out. That's at ABS bed temp of over 100C. If you're going to use it just to make sticking of PLA/PET/other good stuff easier, then you only need to heat it to 50, which shouldn't cause any issues.

4. Printer999

Printer999 New Member

ok I can probably get the ABS printer for the price I mentioned. is that a good deal? I want to know one or 2 more peoples opinions before I buy!

5. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

Not a bad buy at all. Fantastic machine. You are basically paying 150-200 to not wait 4 months. I think a lot of us would have done that.

6. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

PM me a link to the ABS one so I can let you know if they have the newest bed.

7. Printer999

Printer999 New Member

is this the new one? Its a old friend of mine selling it so theres no link. Edit: the pic isn't working
    But its a black color.

Also Is it worth the extra money just for the heated bed if i'm printing only PLA? I mean Although I don't mind ABS that much, I will be printing in a pretty enclosed space So I would prefer not to have to keep the door open while printing. Basically Im mainly gonna print PLA. What are the real advantages of the heated bed.

8. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

Are you going to be printing anything large and flat, where non-warping is essential? Because PLA can still warp in large pieces, and having the heated bed has been very useful to me whenever I'm printing anything that is more than about 2/3 the width of the bed. Sometimes it's only a tiny amount, maybe half a millimeter, not really a big deal. And then other times it's been more like 5mm. I now heat the bed to 60-70 with PLA whenever I'm doing something large (sometimes even up to 80 if it's really big) and it helps a lot. I've printed a ton of stuff now, never actually used ABS, but still very glad for having a heated bed.

9. Printer999

Printer999 New Member

ok. So its probably in the end useful even if im not printing ABS

10. Billm

Billm Member

I was given the robo abs as a gift. It was frustrating getting it set up, but now that it is, it is great. I was planning on spending 1500.00 on a printer that was smaller. If you are willing to spend some time getting it set up, than 750 - 900 is a good deal in my estimation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.