1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ROBO 3D from Nov. 2013 - ABS prints well, PLA clogs ...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by lemuba, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

Hi,

I just started printing with a 2013 ROBO and stock extruder/hot end.
    I managed now to print ABS in very good quality at 235 degree celcius and 95 degree bed temperature.
    Anyway - the PLA material I tried to print from 185 to 220 degree clogs after some time in the black part between the hotend and extruder bolt - seems that the heat from the hotend "climbs up".
    Also after loading the PLA material, I may extrude it without problems - resting it for 1-2 minutes will clog it.
    Do I have to change now the hotend, and/or attach an additional fan to enable PLA printing, or switch to another PLA material - I have currently no idea...?

I hope you understand my explanations as English is not my mother language...:)

Best regards,

Matthias

2. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

It is called "heat creep" Mathias and a fan blowing on the hot end will likely help. The latest version of the ROBO printer comes with a Hexagon hot end from RepRap Discount and, once set up, I have experienced no problems with this all metal hot end; far superior to stock j head model. You may not learn about the ROBO through assembling all of its parts, but as you modify, calibrate and upgrade its various components, you will eventually get to a machine and the personal knowledge needed to make some very fine prints. ABS is very tricky. Getting that to work is an accomplishment, especially with a stock hot end. PLA is, for most of us, far easier to work with so I would suggest that there is something not quite right in your set up. Most PLA materials will work well in the temperature range you stated though I find 185 to be a bit too low usually. You may have a partial clog inside the hot end, or even slightly out of spec PLA. Measure the diameter of the filament and see if it exceeds 1.75mm.
    Your English far exceeds my German!
    Good luck -
    Dean

3. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

Hello Dean,

thanks for your detailed explanations - very helpful!
    Then I will continue for the Moment with ABS - have still 3 1kg spools to print and no rush:)
    As ABS really prints perfect on the new print bed from 0.1mm - 0.3mm layer together with Capton Tape and hair spray, it must be the PLA Filament.
    I also dismanteled the entire print head and Extruder and everythink looked fine. The Filament I also measured and it was in tolerenace.
    In the meantime I have printed 4 feets to lift the Printer up and to get a 80mm PC-Fan installed on the RAMPS board - I had also this temperature Drops of the print bed and hotend and now with the fan everything OK...
    Clamps for the fan still to be printed...
    Have ordered today at Amazon Germany also a Raspberry PI to have the Printer remote controlled with octopi asap - my wife was complaining about the ABS smell in the living room... which is certainly also not healthy.

TBC,

Best regards,

Matthias

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

Mark,
    Whow! Will try this at the next opportunity and Report back.

Best regards,

Matthias

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good luck. It worked out so well for me (and I print pretty much only PLA or PLA variants these day) that I just added an 'oiler' to continuously feed in a tiny bit of oil. Alternatively you you have to re-season periodically.

7. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

I really need to do this myself.... thanks, Mark, for the reminder!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.