1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Robo 3D R1 Adequate Cooling

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dilemma, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Dilemma

Dilemma New Member

First off sorry if there is already a post on this (if so please point me in the right direction)

I have been noticing that my printer tends to print very short in the Z axis, or sometimes wont even move in the Z direction once it begins to overheat. After 20 minutes or so it just keeps printing on the same layer line until it destroys the print

Anyways to solve this i have installed a larger fan on the inside right in front of the arduino board. It does not seem to be enough so i took my wives fan she keeps next to the bed pulled the bottom off the printer and overhang the part of the printer with the board over that fan. Now it prints really well.

I wanted to know if there was perhaps a better way of going about this? or if anyone had any suggested setups i could take advantage of? I did order this because I thought it would be useful.

Also if you have any particularly tricky ideas I do CAD model in PRO-E/Creo very well

Thanks in advance!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is a cooling fan under the bottom of the printer that cools the electronics (RAMPS board in specific) make sure it is still running and able to move air. IMHO it is a rather small one, replace it with a beefier one if you want.

Leaving the bottom off is a start (the betas did not have a bottom cover) but even so you should cool the ramps board with a fan.

danzca6 likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. both of my beta units have 3" fans moving air across the RAMPS...

4. Dilemma

Dilemma New Member

Thanks for the reply,

The smaller fan does run just apparently not good enough which prompted me to add another larger one to the inside in front of the board while still using the smaller one. But you said you have 3 running so maybe ill just create some larger legs for the printer to get it farther off the table and make a 3 fan fixture of some kind and just plug into the wall and slide under it

If you have one handy would you mind putting up a snapshot of your setup? I'm sure it would make a nice example to follow.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, just one 3 inch fan right next to the RAMPS pulling air across it.