1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Robo 3d r1 heated bed issue (short?)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Havoc, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Havoc

Havoc New Member

After many successful prints using matter control and subsequently simplify 3d the bed stopped heating. I was able to elevate the extruder head temperature, but the bed temp stayed at ambient. I removed the bed from the printer to start some troubleshooting.

The first observation was that the connector required pliers to uncouple the bed from the wiring harness. Inspection of the connector revealed that the white wire (on the bed) had an over temp, perhaps a short. I believe that this fused the white wire connections in the bed white Molex.

I read an older thread that indicated that there may have been a change to a more robust Molex connector.

I would appreciate any tips on how to proceed from this point. A point of background, I had just removed the bed to reattach the magnets to the bed.

Thanks in advance.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The Robo solution is to remove the connector.
    Completely.

You can switch to higher amperage connectors and it will be fine.
    As a suggestion use Anderson powerpoles (the smallest are 15amp) or Deans connectors (use those rated 15amp or more).

Or just remove the connector and that works too. .

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

P.S. if it did short you may need to replace the RAMPS or at least Q3 on the RAMPS since that may have failed,. Repair the wiring first and see.