1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo 3D R1 Spool-Filament Guide

Discussion in 'Projects' started by jonebersole, Jul 27, 2014.

1. jonebersole

jonebersole Member

I've been having problems with my filament roll binding on itself, because it is so full. The way the filament moves, it comes off the spool and starts to wrap itself around the spool rod. I have enclosed a picture of it below. So, I designed this guide that just slides over the end of the spool rod and you can put your filament through the top end. It will guide the filament over top of the spool and eliminate the binding. I've also included a pic of the end product, but don't judge. I'm still trying to figure out how to print ABS and the print curled and I had to stop it half way through. But you get the point... and it works as-is anyway. I hope this helps others. - Jon

WP_20140727_15_41_08_Pro.jpg WP_20140727_17_46_34_Pro.jpg

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. Steve K.

Steve K. Member

I made a spacer out off PVC pipe with a diameter the same as the spool holder. Installed it on the end of holder to keep the filament spool against the printer. It prevents the spool from moving on the holder and applies some friction to keep the spool from rotating to fast.

3. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

... I use a hair tie to the same effect as Steve. I just double it around the rod and then push it almost tight against the spool. Holds it against the printer.

4. Krish

Krish Member

I use this : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:255541

Along with a printed spacer about an inch long on the spool rod to keep the filamet spool closer to the printer. Works great have never had an issue.