1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Robo 3d R1 Stepper motor clicking

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by fsnuffer, Jul 27, 2020.

1. fsnuffer

fsnuffer New Member

I have been reading and people recommend replacing the stepper controller or the motor. I have attached a video of the Z axis motor clicking. Any suggestions?

Edit: They won't let me post a file yet. Basically the stepper motor periodically "clicks" and jumps back a fraction. Happens more on long runs.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Clicking/grinding of a stepper is usually because it is dropping steps.
    That can be because:
    1) The stepper driver is not supplying enough current to make the stepper motor step
    2) The stepper motor is bad

Usually I say replace the small stepper driver card on the RAMPS board that drives the stepper motor (the R1 used a single stepper driver for the Z just like most other Cartesian printers) but the R1+ used two.

This the layout on the RAMPS for the R1:

RAMPS Wiring Robo.jpg

This is the top of the RAMPS and you can see which of the stepper drivers is labeled "Z"
    Replace that one with a new one OR try adjusting the the current if you feel up to it (they are cheap and I don't waste my time) -- they look like this

Stepper drivers.jpg

RAMPS_top.jpg

#2 mark tomlinson, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make sure that the heatsink has not fallen off of the Z driver board... that can happen and if it does the driver will limit the current automatically :)