1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo app development

Discussion in 'Software' started by OutsourcedGuru, Nov 10, 2017.

1. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

As I mentioned, I'm working on the replacement version of the Robo portable app. It's written in PhoneGap with Framework7. (It's a work-in-progress.)

Repository

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Android app should be going into beta within the next two weeks.

3. OutsourcedGuru

Not sure what you're seeing on that... but I'm seeing this, Allen's fork being two years ago on that. And then there's this from a year ago.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

OSG I was told this directly from Robo. That android app you linked to was a fork of stuff done by BQ (Spain) who briefly hired Thomas Sanladerer and Gina Häußge before basically dropping all support for their 3D printers. That app is just a pretty face for the OctoPrint interface and does nothing else.

With very few exceptions almost 100% of Robo's software development is derivative. Most of the work was done by other people.

5. OutsourcedGuru

Well, mine's definitely "inspired" by the navigation of the existing app but I'm writing it all from scratch.

6. OutsourcedGuru

The latest version is now fully functional for a stock Robo C2 (with optional webcam). I'm switching gears now to build a time-lapse rail for my gf's Nikon D750 in time for our Christmas break camping trip. I'll revisit the Robo app in January to add the controls for the 2nd extruder and bed.

Robo-LeftPanel.png

Attached Files:

7. Frank van Gilluwe

Cool - Any updates on this? Will it support both C2 and R2? Possible to get on the beta? (I'm also an Android developer, but haven't done anything for a year now).

8. OutsourcedGuru

It should support the R2's first extruder but currently not the heated bed controls. I'd hoped to update it soon enough for these features as well. It's open-source so feel free to pull down the image if you'd like.

Honestly, I'm thinking that the best way to go on this is to install everything onto a Raspberry Pi Zero W and power it inside the base of either printer on port 80 (rather than the current 3000 port). So if your printer's name is charming-pascal.local, for example, you might name this one mobile-charming-pascal.local to make things easy to remember. And since you'd be hosting it in developer mode like this, you wouldn't need to get/maintain developer certificates with Apple, Google and Microsoft; the interface would be just served up via your phone's browser.