1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo C2 Image download link.

Discussion in 'Software' started by JohnShuba, Mar 19, 2017.

1. jcpj.ca

jcpj.ca New Member

Thanks for help and time!
    I was able to find two two documents through google web search
    1. Rodo Web dashboard. It details you first helpful hint.
    2. Connecting the printer via WiFi- Robo Help Center. Step 4 explains how to connect to OctoPrint,

I will be trying both to see where I get.

Being a Forum admin do you know of any other Robo owners in the San Diego are that I can connect with?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. jcpj.ca

jcpj.ca New Member

The web dashboard is working. It did an update. ( I did take notice of this first update) It then forced a reboot. This verifies that the screen is the issue as it is still unresponsive.
    The screen continues to display the message [Update available [Later] (in Red) [Update] (in Blue}]
    When I select the Play icon ( hover over it it say [STICK] ) the popup screen goes away.
    When I do a [Reboot System]] option from the on screen System Menu options the printer does a reboot but the screen still displays the Update Available screen. The computer when back at the Web dashboard displays the error message [The command "reboot system": could not be executed. 503 Service Unavailable.

Is there any way to force the OctoPrint 1.4.0 - rc6 update that cannot be activated by the touch sceen?

Do you have any other tips on what I can do to fix this? Is there ay code on the SD Card that needs to be verified? What file/code config is responsible for the running of the screen?

4. jcpj.ca

jcpj.ca New Member

I made a change in the [Software Settings] option in the web interface from [Release] to [Commit] This was recommended by a Orange notice bar that said the [release] setting was non-standard. After rebooting the system again I did not get an [Update available] message but the printer still showed the message [Update available].
    I replaced the SD card with the other one I have and when it rebooted it did not go to the [Update Available screen.]

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here is the problem in general with the Raspbery Pi and OctoPrint as configured by Robo...
    The LCD menu is some custom code written by Robo as a plugin for OctoPi.
    It was written in Python. The one they wrote for the R2/C2 uses some outdated (now unsupported) libraries for the LCD and you can't update the Python version at all without breaking the LCD menu. So you effectively can not update the version of Raspbian or the version of OctoPrint without losing access to the LCD using the Robo Menus...

What many do is either:
    1) Never update the Robo Pi...
    2) Use a generic version of OctoPrint on a new SD card (just download the image from octoprint.org and burn it to a new SD card and swap out the one in the pi) You can download other LCD plugins for OctoPrint that DO work with that LCDF but it will not have the custom menu that Robo has, it will have a different one. Some of them are not bad and some are even better in my opinion. If you do this to a NEW SD card and keep the old one handy you can always swap back to what you have now. This also leaves you able to update Raspbian and/or OctoPrint as needed.

6. jcpj.ca

jcpj.ca New Member

This is very Helpful. My ultimate goal it to get the C2 working well enough to offer it up on CraigsList.

I like option to because it will get me a screen that works with any kind of menu.
    Can you recommend the menu system that you like the best. Do you have a link to this plugin as well.
    I assume that imaging this generic OctoPrint image is the same procedure that i used with the Robo Image.

This option is way better than trying to source a replacement LCD Screen [If it would even work!

My gratitude level of you right now is immense.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, there are a few different options...
    start here: https://octoprint.org/download/
    Get the image and create the new SD card from it ...

You can google octoprint LCD plugin and get a look at the ones out there.
    This looks to be a good one: https://unchartedbull.github.io/OctoDash/index.html

I have a variety of LCD plugins I tried and honestly I don't really use any of them much because I control the printers and monitor them when printing using the OctoPrint web interface on the Pi.

8. jcpj.ca

jcpj.ca New Member

After Looking at the web pages for OctoPi, Octodash and some videos on You tube for setting up Octodash and Octoscreen. I am overwhelmed with the amount of command line scripting involved.
    I do see on the Octodash page under installation that they do provide an installation script . I assume that that you run this after you SSH into the raspberry Pi. But it looks like you have to log in with pi and password raspberry. OKAY but how do you run the installation script.

I can see that my current Robo version of OctoPrint [version 1.3.3] has the [Plug In Manager] option in settings which allows for the installation of new plug ins. Is there a LCD plugin that can be installed to replace the one that Robo has in place?

While on Google I came across SimplyPrint. Do you Know anything about them. They seem to have an easy install process. I am going to try it, They Start with the Raspberry Pi Imager as well.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The problem (as I mentioned earlier) is that the version of Raspbian (the operating system for the pi in the printer) and the version of OctoPrint installed on that Pi are old. Unsupported old. Likely any new plugins you try to install will fail because either the version of OctoPrint is no longer supported for that plugin or the version of Raspbian (and the libraries included) is to old.

You might want read up a bit on Raspbian/Linux. In general to run a script you use use this syntax:
    ./scriptname.sh
    However you may need to have elevated privilege's which is done using:
    sudo ./scriptname.sh

This has a much better explanation for installation: https://all3dp.com/2/octodash-simply-explained/
    but you will still want to download an image for the current version of OctoPrint and burn that to an SD card first and then use that as a reference for installing Octodash. So, start here: https://octoprint.org/download/

Do all of this on a new SD card and you can always swap back in the Robo one to go back to what you had.

10. jcpj.ca

jcpj.ca New Member

I see now that it is just an alternative OctoPi. Running it again for {stable} 1.0.0 with OctoPrint 1.9.2
    options set were
    set hostname to raspberry.local
    Enable SSH with password authentication

Set up a username and password

I did not configure wifi
    Clicked write button

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. jcpj.ca

jcpj.ca New Member

Thanks again for your help and your prompt replies. I have more reading to do.

12. jcpj.ca

jcpj.ca New Member

Here is my final report now that I have the printer working.

Robo2d Support sent me a link to a SD Card image for the C2 GPIO version. It is different that the one provided in the Forum.
    The size is 2,629,632KB in size and dated 8/13/2019. It is the same Version 2.2.0 as the version on the Forum. I tested both and determined that the screen was still unresponsive.

I purchased a new screen from Partsbuilt.com. It cost $45.94 delivered. If you need Robo printer parts I HIGHLY recommend them. They are a man and wife operation. I talked at length with Jonah and there customer service is beyond compare.

The screen arrived in about 5 days and was well packed. The screen works Yeah! The only issues are...
    1 The screen connector is now on the bottom instead of the top.
    2 The screen colors have changed. The ROBO splash screen is black letters on a green background [same as the manufacturer - Waveshare] The main screen is now a white background instead of black. The buttons are now green instead of blue. Anything that was red is now blue.

I let Robo3d Support that the computer was now working but the colors had changed. Their response was to notify the seller and ask if that was normal.

Here is the bad part. The image I tested first was the SD image that I got from the Forum. It failed on the [Fine Tune Z offset setting]. I set the Z-offset with the [Set Z-offset] menu option and the went to the [Fine Tune Z offset] option. I got an error message [ Your Z Offset is set to -10.5. You must First set you Z offset before Fine Tuning ]. If I tried to print the test print the print nozzle would crash into the print bed.

I put in the SD card made with the image provided by Robo2d Support, the first thing it did was give me a message that it was performing an update and would reboot when done. Note: the printer was not connected to internet and WIFI was not enabled. Running the same procedure as before for Z offset gave me the expected screen that shows three Outcomes of too close too far and just right nozzle setting. I was then able to perform a Fine tune Z offset procedure.

I can provide the SD card image that Robo3D Support provided me if you explain how/where.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have some place to host it temporarily I can copy it over.
    You can use a dropbox, one drive, gdrive as a place to do that.

14. ayflames

ayflames New Member

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did you try to access it? It should then shoot me an email that I can approve or deny.
    I manually added your email, but if that does not work let it request access.

16. ayflames

ayflames New Member

The Google Drive works now, thank you so much! Also, I am having problems with my LCD screen for my Robo C2 printer, I just got a used one yesterday and the touch screen is unresponsive. The robo 3d printer image/os boots all the way but the screen won't react to my touch. Any tips?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A few...
    1. I assume you just re-flashed the SD card in the Pi (which would have been my first suggestion) and make sure you used the correct image. There are two because early C2 machines used a different connection to the LCD than later ones. That is why there are two ZIp files on that share for the C2 -- one labeled "HDML" and the other "GPIO". If the one doesn't work -- try the other. You would need to partially dismantle the printer to see which way the LCD is connected so might be easier to just burn both images to different SD cards and try them both.
    2. Make sure the plastic case that the LCD is inside of does not "touch" the actual LCD screen -- if so that will effectively disable the touch functionality. Stealthy problem :)
    3. Make sure the cables from the Pi to the LCD are actually connected firmly.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you need to replace the LCD because it is defective we have links in the FAQ to which LCD you can buy from Amazon to replace it or see if PartsBuilt.com has them in stock...

19. ayflames

ayflames New Member

I've tried all your recommendations and none of them worked. I tried connecting it to a slightly larger LCD but the touch screen didn't work on that one either. Thanks for your help though. Let me know if you come up with anything else.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member