1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R1 coming to snowy Syracuse NY!

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by davmad, Jan 8, 2015.

1. davmad

davmad Member

Hey everyone! I've been researching 3d printers for a few months now and have decided to buy the robo! I live in Syracuse, NY home of the snow! We get about 115" of snow total each season. Anyways, I've become very interested and kind of obsessed with 3d printing. I love the idea of taking an object online and creating it in your home. I'm excited to be apart of the robo community and hopefully when I get some more knowledge and some good prints under my belt I can help others! My printer is supposed to arrive Monday afternoon so I'll post how unboxing goes and my initial thoughts on the printer!

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Glad to have you on board :) I hope everything works well for you and you stick around to show off your works

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Welcome. I grew up in binghamton, have family in syracuse, and usually make it up there about once a year (never in the winter).
    For local resources: Not sure what there is in Syracuse, but there is a makerspace in Ithaca (Ithaca Generators?), one trying to startup in Cortland, and one in Binghamton (Triple Cities Makerspace). I believe the Binghamton group has a mini makerfaire planned for May.

4. davmad

davmad Member

Oh nice! I have family in
    Binghamton/Owego as well. They have a makerspace in Syracuse its called salt makerspace I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to. I didn't know they had a makerfair I definitely want to check that out.

5. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

Gads I used to go to Binghamton all the time, to company called Universal Instruments. Used to stay in a hotel that was once the courthouse. Ate huge prime ribs at the Roaring Fork and hung out with the Ham Radio guys... Being from San Diego I used to make a point to go Nov to Jan so I could experience the snow.. really enjoyed that town.

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

wow. small world. I've actually met a lot of people across the course of my career who went to some of the training that universal offered. I spent some time at universal participating in an electronics packaging consortium they ran for local businesses. Also worked on a project with a few employees there who were in a chemistry class of mine while I was working on my Masters. They had a pretty cool failure analysis lab. Sad thing is that I remember all the cool toys, but don't even have a vague idea what the project was that we were working on!

2 people like this.
  7. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

I still have a pair of wingtips from Endicott-Johnson shoes! bought them mid-80's still comfortable :)

8. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

Im from Utica originally but now out in sunny San Francisco. I got my printer just before Christmas! I love it. You will hit problems, and usually they are very easy to solve... go slow and look on here for help... Most problems are easily addressed and fixed by just reading!!!

2 people like this.
  9. davmad

davmad Member

Oh nice! I love Utica pizza. Ya I've already hit a few snags but as of now im printing a 13 hour print and everything is going great :) do you have a lot of problems with your printer?

10. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

no, just problems that happen to all printers. Occasional Jam, (usually my fault) Belts come loose... bad slicing settings. I have built a printer before, so I am used to most of them, but this machine is about as good as you can get so far for the out of the box experience. The support from the company is very good as well. But the user community in the troubleshooting section is by far the best resource. Enjoy it, when problems happen, learn from them instead of getting angry and you will be a very happy 3d printer owner!

2 people like this.
  11. davmad

davmad Member

Thanks! I've already had a few questions and everyone has been awesome!