1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo up and running - prints fall apart - need some help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MikeZ_TWC, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeZ_TWC

MikeZ_TWC New Member

hey everyone,

im an enthusiastic new 3D printer owner. so far so good, setup was a breeze and got it printing easily.

I am starting by printing this calibration cube:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24238

The first couple layers look fine, but them it looks like the PLA is not adhering to the level below it. When the print is done, i can pull it apart to basically extruded filament.

Settings:
    -PLA that came with the printer
    -settings as described in the manual (190/0)
    -room ambient temp 65F

Let me know some things i can try to dial it in (or point me to another thread). Im a FDM 3d printing noob, so dont make any assumptions :)

Mike

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can't really see from that pic if the layers are flat. Make sure they are being put down correctly or they will not stay.
    Extruded filament should be rounded, the layers should be flat.

3. MikeZ_TWC

MikeZ_TWC New Member

hey mark, thanks for the reply.

sorry the pic isn't good. the extruded filament is indeed going down onto each layer round and not flattening. first layer is OK, subsequent layers are not. it's almost as if the z axis increments too much on each pass, resulting in too much area between layers and not forcing the extruded plastic down flat.

any settings to check for this?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What are the layer heights set to (layer height and first layer height)?

It could still be that the initial height for the first layer is too high as well (i.e. the leveling is not quite right). Look at the picture tesseract uses for the good first layer example. It really does need to be that flat :)

On the (+) side, once you get it set it pretty much just stays there (and you will know for certain what to look for if you do need to reset it).

5. MikeZ_TWC

MikeZ_TWC New Member

.3mm and 100% - same as the recommended default settings in the manual.

i'll check the bed leveling per your suggestion. i was in the later kickstarter fully assembled batch and there doesnt seem to very consistent bed leveling out of the box.

i really need a newbie 'if this happens then try this' type guide. im new to it so i dont know what the common knobs are to turn to fix issues. all a part of the learning curve.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

0.2 and 0.35 are the settings I am using.

I also had a kickstarter assembled one and NO there is nothing OOB that will help much.

Use tesseracts bed leveling spring/mount 'things' they really do make it easy to get perfect (and to a very fine degree of 'perfect') Once those are installed you can really tweak it in pretty quickly.

7. MikeZ_TWC

MikeZ_TWC New Member

i looked around a bit with no luck - can you pass me on a link to the spring mount setup?

im going to do some more messing around tonight with the printer.

8. cosber

cosber Active Member

After many frustrating weeks of experiencing the same issues as you, using the new Matter (I forget the complete name) software which has an autoleveling calibration showed me the screw for the zstop was too low and was stopping the extruder from getting low enough to print a correct first layer. I couldn't gage the look of a correct layer from the many pictures on the forums. Tesserac was adamant about getting it flat, and he was right, but adjusting the thread rods apparently won't work when the zstop switch is stopping the assembly from lowering to the proper height off the table. Now my layers are flat, it sticks like a magnet to the table (no tape, hairspray instead), and no more loose strings. After no successful prints, after calibrating the machine last night, I printed out 4 perfect objects. Also, though I'm using PLA, the software heats the bed up to 70 degrees. Braydon at Robo said to use 60, so I lowered it to that. I don't have the link to the new software handy. If you need it, I can post it later tonight after work unless someone else has it.

2 people like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. MikeZ_TWC

MikeZ_TWC New Member

some updates...

1. the main issue was my own operator error with slic3r. i did not realize you needed to pull down your new printer settings (see attached pic with area circled in red).
    Slic3r Screenshot.png

2. my z-axis stop switch is installed backwards. i need to switch this out, but i actually have been getting good results as is. adjusting the z axis is tricky at first - but once you realize it is completely set by the z stop (there is no memory of the position other than the z-stop), things get much easier.

TIP: when setting the z axis height, use your business card as a 'feeler gauge'. that is, slide it under the print head bent - **without** your hand touching the print bed. ill post a pic of this.

3. was able to get really crisp prints of tesseract's 15mm calibration cube using black PLA down to the 0.1mm level of detail. i tried a 5mm calibration cube as well on Thingiverse with good results, but still some tweaking to do to get it perfect.

Thank you for the Mattercontrol links - I will give them a try and report back.

Is there a good guide yet for newbies? I could begin compiling one as I am documenting my trials and tribulations.

Overall very happy still with the Robo. This is going to be a very useful tool.

Mike

11. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

I don't think there's a guide yet for newbies, at least for the Robo 3D, but we're building an FAQ.

The redirect for it:
    http://melodybliss.org/robo3d/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.