1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo3D Not working on Linux

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dennis R. Andersen, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis R. Andersen

Dennis R. Andersen New Member

Okay so been trying everything, but just can't get the printer to work, I can get Repetier-Host to connect to the printer but nothing else work, the manual control doesn't work it just says that X number of commands is waiting

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I ran into difficulties in the Windows environment and had the same issue said it was connected but the software still showed commands waiting that is an indication that it is not connected the correct way meaning USB source, baud rate etc. DO you show multiple sources when you try and choose which USB you are connecting to or do you only show 1. If you show 1 check and make sure the baud rate is the 250000 that is supposed to be there could be a setting on your computer side also that may limit that value make sure that is as high as it can be up to the 250000 number. If you have multiple USB connections I would try alternate ones that look new or unfamiliar. Also I would not go through a USB hub or through a USB extension at this point. Use the cable they supplied and make the connection directly to you system. IF this succeeds then you cna start swapping in the hubs and extensions if you need to but I usually saw issues when I tried that next time I hit a computer store I will look for a longer USB cable with the proper connection types.

Currently through my MAC I am on the single cable and it is working so I don't want to mess with it too much.
    Good luck and I hope something here helped.

3. Dennis R. Andersen

Dennis R. Andersen New Member

Thanks for the input

What I have found for now is that first of all the baud rate of 250000 isn't a correct baud rate, it's a custom baud rate which from what I have been able to find the software on Linux doesn't support

4. Max Kharlamov

Max Kharlamov New Member

Same issue here. Got as far as being able to connect with any standard baud rate, i.e. 115200, 230400, but the printer doesn't respond to any commands. 250000 baud rate is not supported on Linux. The printer is accessible through /dev/ttyACM0 and lsusb sees it as:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2341:0010 Arduino SA Mega 2560 (CDC ACM)

5. da9l

da9l Member

6. zbyte64

zbyte64 New Member

7. JimmyJames

JimmyJames New Member

I'm having some of the same problems. I had to use SUDO to get the pinter to connect with the ACM0 port. But it will not respond to any commands.

Has anyone figured out the solution to this problem?

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I am not trying to make jokes as this must be very frustrating but just wanted to point on when I was connecting via my windows machine I could establish connections on several ports but could not communicate so to me I see this as a two step issue establishing a definite connection and then ensuring the communication parameters are set correctly to actually send information back and forth.

is there a way to tell in the linux system if both sections are working correctly or better yet first the connection and then the communication maybe through some kind of dummy com device piece of software

sorry if this does not help just want to throw it out there

9. JimmyJames

JimmyJames New Member

I'm not as good with Linux as I like to think I am! I booted up to Windows and everything is running.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually I think linux is the issue this time if you actually got it working I know you would be the hero of a few others

11. Shigemal

Shigemal Member

You should add your account on dialout group.
    /dev/ttyACM0 is owned by dialout group

12. kelly

kelly New Member

I am having the same issues.
    I can connect to printer but can not move the print head.
    Using Ubuntu 13.04
    Have tried many things I have found on the web but no luck.
    I hope someone will have a solution.

13. kelly

kelly New Member

Finally gave up on Ubuntu 13.04 and had to buy Windows 7 pro to get it to work.
    Whether you need W7 Pro I do not know, I just used what all my other computers had.
    I am printing the Mr Jaws test print now and it looks fine.

14. Rex Dart

Rex Dart New Member

I've had a similar experience with Ubuntu 12: could connect, but no commands were passed. Switched to Win7 laptop, and all is good.

Would like to eventually move it back to the Ubuntu box, as that one has more horsepower than the laptop...

15. Coby Robo 3D

Coby Robo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

If you all would like I can upload a firmware with a different baud rate. Would this help?

16. Matthias

Matthias Member

17. WizardStan

WizardStan Member

Repetier uses some linux serial interface which doesn't yet support non-standard baud rates in all versions of linux. Could be a kernel issue, could just be with the library, I couldn't find anything actually telling me what the problem was, just everyone saying "doesn't work", so I'll have to dig into the code later if I want to actually figure it out.
    ANYWHO
    I did find people with the same complaints about pronterface. The difference: pronterface uses pyserial and version 2.6 and above (now 2.7) have no problems with non-standard baud rates. Ubuntu and derivatives all have pyserial 2.5, but we can upgrade it! Or at least the relevant parts.
    Go to https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyserial and download the .tar.gz file. (pyserial-2.7.tar.gz at the time of this witting)
    Assuming you've downloaded it to "Downloads"
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    tar xvfz pyserial-2.7.tar.gz
    cd pyserial-2.7/serial/
    sudo cp -r * /usr/share/pyshared/serial/

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:richi-paraeasy/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install pronterface

And there you go, upgraded pyserial to 2.7 supporting 250000 baud, pronterface now works. I haven't printed anything yet (gotta leave for work in a minute) but it connects and I can manually control the motors at least.

18. Shigemal

Shigemal Member

19. WizardStan

WizardStan Member

Upon further inspection, this appears to be bugs upon bugs. It is possible to set a custom baud rate in Linux, the pronterface/python example demonstrates it.
    The first bug is in mono: it only accepts standard baud rates. An unexpected baud rate defaults to 9600. Presumably this is not a problem when running .net natively in Windows. There is a patch you can apply (https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Host/issues/156) that is supposed to enable custom baud rates. I did this, and that's when I hit the second bug. The USB-serial device in the Robo3D is reporting a base baud of 9600. That is way too low to set a custom baud rate. That's way too low to do anything with: the only "custom" baud rates you can set are 9600 and below. So I'm stumped as to how python can do it. Except now that I think about it I probably do know how. More investigation required.
    As far as I can tell though, the root problem here is mono: I can't imagine how anyone has ever been able to get it to work; without being built from source with this patch it simply will not accept custom baud rates. And yet the Repetier guys insist it works.

Edit: ***********
    Ok, I've got it. Made a patch for mono and now it accepts custom serial ports properly. Repetier host works perfectly in Linux with this

sudo apt-get install mono-mcs mono-gmcs​

tar -xvzf mono-2-10-8.tar.gz​
    cd mono-mono-2-10-8​

patch ./support/serial.c serial.patch​

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr​
    make​
    sudo make install​

You can also choose to not install if you're worried about thrashing a perfectly good mono install: move the extracted mono-mono-2-10-8 directory somewhere safe (~/bin for example), open up repetierHost, and change the "mono" call to point to that directory/runtime/_tmpinst/bin/mono
    This way repetierHost uses the fresh built mono with the patch applied but the default mono still resides in /usr/bin for the rest of the world to use.

2 people like this.
  20. 3ghnu

3ghnu New Member

Any possibility you could update your patch for mono 2.11.4 (the last one before the 3.x series)? It looks like they moved some stuff around into separate functions. I tried to adapt your changes as best as I could and got it to compile, but Repetier still crashes on connect with "System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Given baud rate is not supported on this platform."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.