1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Robo3d - Z Axis Does Not Respond/Move & Heated Bed 0 Degrees

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by richsipe, Oct 26, 2016.

1. richsipe

richsipe New Member

Two different issues - may or may not be related:

FIRST and most important - The Z Axis currently does not respond to any commands.

I had a successful print and when I went the next day to start another print the Z axis didn't move during preparation for the print (leveling/preheating etc) and during the print just stayed up where it had ended the last print. I tried to use the manual commands to move the Z axis and it didn't budge.

What I have tried: Restarting the printer and computer multiple times. Checking both rods to make sure the limit switches were OK. Generally wiggling the wires that go into the printer.

Question: What is probably wrong and how do I go about troubleshooting? I have done some research on the forums but don't have a clear process figured out.

SECOND and actually happened First - My Heated Bed reads 0 degrees and doesn't respond to preheating.

From my research this is probably a thermistor is that what I should look into replacing first? Or are there fuses or other issues that can cause this. This isn't an emergency as I have been printing PLA more lately since my ABS ran out.

Thanks!!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is a list of things to check, but are you using an R1 or an R1+?

The list looks like this (assuming Z will not go UP or DOWN):
    1) Check the wiring from the stepper motors back to the RAMPS board. No loose/disconnected wires
    2) for the R1 there is a single stepper driver card for both Z motors (R1+ is different) Find the Z stepper driver card and swap it with any of the others (X or Y for example) see if the problem moved from Z to X or Y. If so, replace the stepper driver card,
    3) failing those issues then it is either a bad RAMPS board or the arduino (less common)

You can swap the thermistor connections on the RAMPS -- put the heated bed one on the hotend connection and vice versa. See if the problem moves. If it does, then yes it is the thermistor.

Here is the RAMPS board layout so you can see the connections:

RAMPS Wiring Robo.gif

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The R1+ has a different ramps so if that is what you have I need to find the other picture.

4. richsipe

richsipe New Member

I am pretty sure I have the R1+ but really dumb question for when I get home what is the easiest way to verify that? Got it new from Robo 3D a few years ago with the heated bed and came with the upgraded hot end due to some shipping delays but past that I will need to be in front of it at home :) to verify my model.

Thanks!

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A few years ago is an R1 :)
    or worse a Beta (no big deal, I have two myself).

So you need not worry about the custom RAMPS card.
    Yours will look like the standard one I posted.