1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Second Layer Unaligned with First

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Tim Ouradnik, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Tim Ouradnik

Tim Ouradnik New Member

Hi Everyone,

The last few objects that I have printed, the layers have not lined up. The first, second, and third layers are all offset slightly from each other. The build cannot continue consequently. Do you know what could be causing this? These have all been fairly long prints (>10 hours) and have been large file sizes.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

My general suspects are always:
    Loose drive component.
    Belt or drive gear on a motor shaft.

3. Tim Ouradnik

Tim Ouradnik New Member

Thanks, Mark.

The parts appear to have a more severe shaft in the Y-direction, potentially linking the issue to the stepper motor that controls the position of the print bed.

Do you think that placing parts at the extreme of the print area can cause the belts to experience strain, thus creating a loose gear?

Thanks.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, unless you printed a really big model and waited until it got tall and heavy :)
    Even then the amount of extra force needed to move the bed would be a much smaller % than the bed itself.

If the gear on the motor shaft is loose you need to tighten it, when tight it should never slip. I used loctite on mine after going through that once. Check the Y belt is tight too. It is fairly easy to adjust on the newer printers (at least to a certain point beyond which you have to raise the bed and adjust the belt and that is rather a pain).

5. Tim Ouradnik

Tim Ouradnik New Member

Okay, I will check the gear next time I get the chance. i will let you know. Thanks for the help.