1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Second or third layer rips object from bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Narnian, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narnian

Narnian New Member

I'm sure a similar question has already been posted, but I'm not sure what keywords to search on.

I just got my ROBO 3D on Sunday, and I'm trying to get it calibrated and set up. I have it mostly printing but now I need to fine tune it because I can't print anything large.

If I print a small object (less than 7 centimeters in diameterish) it seems to be happy.

If I print something larger it will print the first one or two layers just fine, but when it gets to the third layer the bottom layer will peel up at one end or another and bend and turn into a horrid gooey mess that gets dragged all over the bed. Right now I'm trying to print a large spool holder, since the spool holder wasn't in my box. I've tried at least eight times today with different settings, all of which produced roughly the same bent mashed gooey mess. I've tried it with MatterControl and Repetier Host. I tried it with the bed on and off and different temperatures. If I turn the bed off I can't print my first layer.

I'm using PLA from maker shed. I noticed that MatterControl has different presets than the video I saw on setting up Repetier Host, but I'm not sure which one is right. I'm open to suggestions. If this has been posted before, I'll take a link to the older post.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What are you using for adhesion? Most people like hairspray for PLA on a 40-60C bed, or cold. People also like the blue painters tape.

You might also be too high, but that will be determined once you use something to adhere with.

3. Narnian

Narnian New Member

I'm using hairspray (Pantene extra strong hold!)

I tried the blue painters tape but my printer head kept snagging the edges and tearing it.

4. Narnian

Narnian New Member

Current settings in RepetierHost:
    Extruder: 195/190
    Bed: 55
    First layer .35
    Other layers .30

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Can you share a picture of your first layer?

6. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

When leveling your z axis, look at the level of the bar. Is it slightly up on one side?

I believe it could be that the nozzle is hitting on a slight angle.

Sometimes the nozzle looks like it pushes off the print before starting a new section. Weird, but if the nozzle is flat, it leaves a bead behind, if it's on an angle, it lifts the filament off the bed.

I spent some time making sure each side is level with the old paper trick. I adjusted one side of the z axis, the move the extruder on the x axis making sure the paper was slid able still. I adjusted accordingly and kept moving along the x axis till it was slid able at each side with a slight friction. If it's still catching too low on one end and not the othe then the z axis is not level and will result in your nozzle being at an angle. Should be straight down, perpendicular to the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Narnian

Narnian New Member

I've spent at least four hours this week leveling the bars. It could be off still but I think it's straight.

I'm adding a photo of the problem, but it's gotten worse. Now it happens with small objects too. Not sure what setting I messed up but I've made it worse.[​IMG]

8. Narnian

Narnian New Member

That one had one layer succeed, and when it got to layer two it ripped up the bottom of the piece, then yanked everything off the bed and slid it around.

9. Narnian

Narnian New Member

I think I figured it out. I had the bed pretty level, so I put all the settings at what one of the ROBO 3D documents recommend, then I raised the Z sensor roughly .2 millimeters and tried the painters tape again. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure the only reason I ripped the painters tape previously is that the Z axis was set too low. Now, the hot end at "0" hovers a hairs width above the tape. This same part has been printing for two hours without any trouble, so I think it's good to go. This particular brand of filament wasn't sticking to the hairspray but is glued down to the painters tape firmly. I'll add to the post if it fails.

So my last question on this thread is, why didn't the hairspray work? But I think I'm going to start a new thread on the hairspray.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

How much are you putting down?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.