1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Set temp within Cura gcode, OctoPrint ignores it

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by OutsourcedGuru, Jun 24, 2017.

1. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

So what's the deal with this? I created a cool material profile for the Shaxon filament with the 205°C temperature and used that profile for a slicing. Generated the gcode and put that to print from OctoPrint... and it ignores the temperature setting and preheats to 210°C as it normally does for the tell and then backs off to the 190°C for PLA.

Am I missing something here?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That 210 is in the startup gcode for octoprint

Change it

3. OutsourcedGuru

I don't mind that it's starting up as 210. It seems to do that to clear the extruder, I'm guessing. After printing the tell, it should then immediately honor the gcode's incoming temperature setting, I'd think.

Here's what I'm seeing on startup
    print the tell
    print the raft
    etc

Here's what I'm hoping for
    print the tell
    etc

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So remove the 190...the startup GCode provided by OctoPrint actually gets done first then the sliced GCode.
    If that is not what you are seeing it may be an OctoPrint issue

5. OutsourcedGuru

Okay, saw this again. Went to school on the GCODE produced and sure enough, Cura 2.3.1 completely ignored the temperature setting from the custom material profile.

Fortunately, I was able to manually edit the temperature within the first few lines of the file produced, changing the M104 and M109 from S190 to S205 in this case. OctoPrint then sees the temperature and uses that.

Code:
    ;FLAVOR:RepRap
    ;TIME:194887
    ;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 2.3.1
    M104 S205
    M109 S205

;LAYER_COUNT:2363
    ;LAYER:-11
    Something I found interesting was the very bottom of the GCODE file. It appears to be a synopsis of what parameters it used to produce the toolpaths. And of course, it saw 190 as the material_print_temperature.

Code:
    ;End of Gcode
    ;SETTING_3 {"global_quality": "[general]\\nversion = 2\\nname = Ultra High Quali
    ;SETTING_3 ty Robo C2\\ndefinition = custom\\n\\n[metadata]\\nquality_type = low
    ;SETTING_3 \\ntype = quality_changes\\n\\n[values]\\nretraction_hop_enabled = Tr
    ;SETTING_3 ue\\ninfill_pattern = grid\\ntop_bottom_thickness = 1.2\\njerk_enable
    ;SETTING_3 d = False\\nspeed_wall_x = 50.0\\nsupport_use_towers = False\\nspeed_
    ;SETTING_3 infill = =speed_print\\nmagic_spiralize = False\\nraft_surface_thickn
    ;SETTING_3 ess = 0.2\\nraft_base_thickness = 0.3\\nraft_airgap = 0.2\\nretractio
    ;SETTING_3 n_enable = True\\nraft_base_line_spacing = 3\\nmaterial_bed_temperatu
    ;SETTING_3 re = 0\\nretraction_amount = 1\\nadhesion_type = raft\\nlayer_height_
    ;SETTING_3 0 = 0.3\\nspeed_support = 100\\nretraction_min_travel = 5\\nsupport_t
    ;SETTING_3 ype = everywhere\\nspeed_layer_0 = 10\\ninfill_before_walls = True\\n
    ;SETTING_3 layer_height = 0.06\\nraft_base_line_width = 1\\ninfill_sparse_densit
    ;SETTING_3 y = 50\\nwall_line_count = 3\\nraft_margin = 5\\nspeed_wall = 30.0\\n
    ;SETTING_3 speed_wall_0 = =speed_wall\\nraft_interface_speed = 40.0\\nspeed_trav
    ;SETTING_3 el_layer_0 = 30.0\\nraft_base_speed = 10.0\\nwall_thickness = 1.2\\nr
    ;SETTING_3 etraction_hop = 0.075\\nskirt_brim_minimal_length = 100\\nspeed_topbo
    ;SETTING_3 ttom = 50.0\\nraft_interface_thickness = 0.3\\nmaterial_print_tempera
    ;SETTING_3 ture = 190\\nspeed_travel = 100\\ncool_fan_full_layer = 4\\nspeed_pri
    ;SETTING_3 nt = 50\\nouter_inset_first = False\\nraft_speed = 50.0\\nsupport_ena
    ;SETTING_3 ble = True\\nmaterial_diameter = 1.75\\nraft_interface_line_width = 0
    ;SETTING_3 .6\\n\\n"}

So, I dunno. I'll either upgrade Cura a notch or so, I'll manually adjust GCODE... or I'll write a Cura post-processing script to adjust when I need the temperature settings to be honored.

Of course, it's entirely possible that Cura expects you to manually set the temperature in the custom settings at the global level but this seems stupid to me.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The world of free slicers has made me LOL at times with the cavalcade of poor choices over the years.
    True, most (the ones that survived) have gotten a lot better.

7. OutsourcedGuru

So... I figured out what Cura expects you to do: you must ignore your custom profile temperature (presumably left there to educate the uninitiated) and use the custom settings (screen-captured here).

Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 11.54.31 AM.png

So that this part will print, I've re-purposed my rock tumbler's base (removing the drive belt) which appears to be a nice spooler for this, noting the orientation. I even unspooled/respooled mondo feet of this thing in order to lose any potential problems. It's probably a better solution, to be honest. I'll eventually need this puppy later when the coins are printed, though.

IMG_0193.jpg