1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Settings Assistance for Filament

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JE Studios, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

Hello all just got my printer not toooo long ago and purchased a green abs filament spool can anyone suggest settings from their experience that would help for a good ABS print.

Currently:

Bed : 90
    Extruder: 220
    Flow : 100

I don't really get a good stick I have tried tape and a plane bed with nothing on it. I know its tricky from what I have seen color to color but was just looking to see if you print masters have some preferred settings that work for you in a way.

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this :D excited to have this printer but will be greater to get a good print lol...

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Abs slurry is really the best option

2 people like this.
  3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

ABS or hair spray on the glass bed. Painter's tape is worthless for ABS. Some people have been having good luck with vinyl decal tape as well.

If you're still having trouble bump up the bed temp to 100-110, although you're going to have less warping issues later in the print with the bed at a cooler setting.

Part cooling fan should be off.

I think you want the flow lower with ABS due to die swell. Like 88%, but you can calibrate that in once you get your first layer sticking.

2 people like this.
  4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I'll add a clarification from my experience: the part cooling fan should be off for the first few layers but you may need it on after that for some structures. Be very careful with the max fan value. If you cool too much the part may pop off the bed.

I have no problems with ABS and Aquanet hairspray and 100C first layer, 95C after that. Also specify a brim. After printing the part will pop off when the bed cools down. See Printed Solid's Hairspray post on this. For PLA I sometimes need to drip water on it part to dissolve the hairspray.

2 people like this.
  5. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

Thanks for all the info will give them a try and report back my luck, I also just ordered a roll of the blue pla to also try my luck with that.

6. scotta

scotta Active Member

I use glue stick, Uhu brand works well. This is the glue you give to kids to stick paper together. In a tube like a lipstick..
    Easy to apply, does not go everywhere. I found hairspray would go every where, or had to mask. Plus I tried three brands that did not work well.. I live in Singapore so could not get the brands mentioned.

Abs - bed at 90.
    Works great

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.