1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Shift in +X and +Y mid print.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, May 20, 2023.

1. joea

joea Active Member

To add to my current frustrations, after finally getting Z offset, bed and filament temperature reasonably "dialed in", about 1/3 way through the print, there was an apparent loss of steps causing a shift in +X +Y. There is also a "glob" of filament, but I cannot tell if it was caused by "extruding in the air" after the shift or had hardened and caused momentary binding when the nozzle hit it.

Pictures below or attached.
    20230520_203830 (Small).jpg 20230520_203907 (Small).jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

A) Shifts are almost always a mechanical problem.
    1. Something either slipped on the drive train (extruder ran into something that caught or blocked it -- like a wire or anything really)
    2. or there is a loose component in the drive (loose belt, loose gear on a spindle).
    B) In some cases it can be electrical, as in the stepper motor is starting to fail or the stepper driver is failing. However when that is the case it is not (usually) intermittent or it is much less intermittent (it happens more often).

In the case of A you can try to confirm it by slowing down the print speed and acceleration (A LOT) just as a test to see if it improves. Or just watching to make sure nothing is getting in the way of the extruder or bed moving.

In the case of B you check the drive train for loose items.

3. joea

joea Active Member

I've had shifts before, but it is pretty illusive. In this case that "glob" on the side may be the culprit if it had hardened and was hit.

I'll start with drying the filament and trying again.

mark tomlinson likes this.