1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Shifting Layers.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by cosber, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosber

cosber Active Member

Please excuse the cross-thread. I had only one reply and thought this forum might be better suited.
    I graduated to a long print time object-a cubicle coat hanger from Thingiverse. It has 85 layers and supposed to take about 2 1/2 hours. The first two attempts failed because the filament didn't feed correctly and the printer just stopped in it's tracks. I rigged up a temporary spool holder that fed the filament down from the top and it seemed to be work well. The first time, about 40 layers in, the layers shifted over about a 1/4 inch, then gradually continued to shift over more. I stopped it and tried again. This time it got about 3/4 of the way through and then started shifting again. Since it didn't happen in the same place, it wasn't the file. Any suggestions as to what is happening? My initial thought was the filament feed was tight and didn't allow the print head to move all the way over to the correct position. Is that possible? If so, I can't think of any way to make the filament feed any better. The one reply I got on the other forum thought it might be a loose belt.​

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

it is more likely the you have a belt that has loosened but with out an image to look at it is hard to guess which belt
    as a guideline try and upload images to explain what is going on sometime the people trying to help can see something you did not know about.
    A good example of this was this exact issue the person was describing this shifting along the x axis and like you was going to try all these different things to fix it and I asked him to upload a pic and I could see in the pick his x belt was drooping severely and that that was the only thing wrong he fixed that and that was all he needed.

so try and give as much info as you can
    filament types
    temps hotend bed if used
    pics always help
    etc.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

>a loose belt<

+2 on that.
    Unless you have had one 'loose' you can't trust assuming it is tight by the 'feel'

4. cosber

cosber Active Member

I found a previous post with my problem that does point to the loose belt. So, how do you determine a loose belt? I could pull it maybe a 1/2 in. Are the instructions to tighten it somewhere? I looked at the Robo User Guide but the highlighted "Step by step instructions" isn't linked to anywhere.

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

it should be tight enough to plunk like a guitar string if it is teh y axis belt then while you are down there check to make sure the pulley is tightly secured to the motor shaft

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.