1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Shifting print layers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by cosber, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosber

cosber Active Member

I graduated to a long print time object-a cubicle coat hanger from Thingiverse. It has 85 layers and supposed to take about 2 1/2 hours. The first two attempts failed because the filament didn't feed correctly and the printer just stopped in it's tracks. I rigged up a temporary spool holder that fed the filament down from the top and it seemed to be work well. The first time, about 40 layers in, the layers shifted over about a 1/4 inch, then gradually continued to shift over more. I stopped it and tried again. This time it got about 3/4 of the way through and then started shifting again. Since it didn't happen in the same place, it wasn't the file. Any suggestions as to what is happening? My initial thought was the filament feed was tight and didn't allow the print head to move all the way over to the correct position. Is that possible? If so, I can't think of any way to make the filament feed any better.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That sounds more like a loose belt.

3. -PC

-PC Member

I had the same issue once and I fixed securing the glass better.
    2013-11-15 11.37.48.jpg

4. cosber

cosber Active Member

I have the updated ABS with just the one plate. I printed another cubicle coat hanger last night, a different one but this one "only" took about 1 1/2 hours. It printed perfectly.

5. Thamer Albahiti

Thamer Albahiti Active Member

it happened with me once,
    I changed my Z alignment as the Filament was barely touching the layer before and the higher it got it comes to a point where it misses the previous layer and just keeps flowing around the hot end

6. alex

alex New Member

Belt is no problem,I had this problem too,I think the problem is filament,it's too tight or get stuck before it feed inside.So PC give a signal to motor,the motor just change its step angle according to G code,but it can not give enough power to extruder parts to move to right place,shift happened.

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually I can say that all of you have a correct possible answer it can be any of the following loose belt on either Y or X, it could be a shifting bed and it could also be that the geared pulleys on the motor shafts could be slipping. you need to check the set screws are nice and tight on teh X and Y motors Y will be difficult because of its location but if the shift was in the Y direction it may need to be done.

The Z shift could be it but the would probably represent more like a single layer that was off but only toward the end of the print.

If you supply us with more details we may be able to narrow it down
    material type, temps extruder and bed, if used, any pics always help

As a novice printer you should probably focus on PLA at first it is much easier to print with and get decent results

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.