1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Shout Out To Robo3D

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by cosber, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosber

cosber Active Member

Wasn't sure which forum to post this, so since I had problems with my printer I put it here.
    As a Kickstarter alumni and an idiot, I had lots of problems getting my printer to function properly. Until I got the rail and bed upgrade, I had probably a 50% success rate, and constantly having to tweak settings to get that much. After the upgrade, I had to still tweak but finally got to the point where I could "set it and forget it", only occasionally having to do a minor tweak to the settings. Things were great for a long time until the hot end went bad. Living in San Diego area I am able to take the printer in for repair and they replaced the hot end free of charge. For a couple months everything was heaven again until one print the filament got tangled and raised the carriage as high as it could go, grinding away until I had gone in to check the progress. A couple wires on a microswitch broke off. When I untangled the filament the carriage came crashing down onto the bed. Amazingly, the bed didn't break but after soldering the wires back on I spent hours trying to get it back to normal but for some reason I couldn't get it to print level. Frustrated, I emailed tech support and brought it in and had Brian look at it. I ended up leaving it there so Brian could work on it. He ended up changing out the carriage and other pieces and nothing he could do would fix it. I got an email saying they would sell me a new printer (refurbished but in the case of a printer, as good as new) for $50! As the bed on the old one had some chips from previous prints, the price was half what a replacement bed would cost. Happily, I took the new one home. Opening the box, it was interesting to see how the company had advanced from the Kickstarter days just by the included extras and the clean look of the printer. I plugged it in, connected it to my computer, opened Simplify and ran a test circle I had been trying to print with the old printer. I did nothing else, no tweaks, no changes in settings. The very first layer came out beautifully. I then continued printing a project I had started and after about a dozen prints, it was finished and all the parts came out perfectly. After years of fiddling with settings, hardware and software, I'm excited to find that Robo has become a truly plug and play printer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.