1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Show Quality ROBO?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Les Hall, Nov 16, 2014.

1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I too love my RoBo 3D R1. I have been comparing it to my '93 Honda Del Sol. It takes some work to keep it running and it's still far from perfect, but the more I get to know it and become familiar with it, the more I like it. Sure it breaks down from time to time and that can be a little frustrating, but if you look at it as a learning experience, it's worth it and can even be fun to fix it.

Also, looks like you're making pretty good headway on this project. Keep up the good work!

2. Les Hall

Les Hall Member

Yeah we get fond of our machines, don't we? I have moved my blog to the RepRap wiki. Here is the first entry which is sort of a design overview with a short story introduction on a spin-off concept: http://reprap.org/wiki/LesterCHall and also here's a bit of a autobiography on me: http://reprap.org/wiki/User:LesterCHall. I'm waiting for parts which will begin to arrive tomorrow and will fully arrive on Friday. Also I'm hoping to give some impromptu telepresence talks at a local hackerspace on the topic of the distributed architecture. Should be fun fun fun!

Les

3. Les Hall

Les Hall Member

I just received the first of two parts orders today, this one from adafruit. I got plenty of that high temperature silicone wire though I think I should have gotten a bit more of it. I also got some excellent protoboards in the style of breadboards. These will fit on the back of the steppers nicely and the brightly colored wire will be braided to hold it together attractively.

Les

3 people like this.
  4. Les Hall

Les Hall Member

I received the FedEx package on Friday right on time as usual and early in the day to boot! So the next day I got to work and pulled an all nighter (well, got about four or five hours sleep but worked otherwise) to finish the X-Axis stepper controller board. There it sits all soldered and blinking in response to the audio sent to it. Now just five more boards to go and I've got the hardware done. Then it's firmware (every processor gets a different program and there are nine processors as I have currently envisioned the project. After that I write software to do wireframe printing - it's a hot rod, remember? So it's got to print fast! Zooooooooom!

Les
    p.s. i'm stuck in bed for now with a TMI condition from staying up in the chair for a whole day (sigh).

2 people like this.
  5. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Somehow hadn't heard of wireframe printing before. Looks like a pretty neat concept, and as you said, something a hot rod printer almost has to do. Haha

6. Les Hall

Les Hall Member

Well there is "wire print", the name given to the work of some researchers who got like 8% speeds (1/0.08 speedup) using a slice spacing and vertical geometry approach. What i hope to do is what i call "wireframe print", which is printing the wireframe. My good friend at the Atangeo company which makes Balancer, the software that is oh so well suited for working with wireframes is interested in essentially making a wireframe "slicer". Should be fun! ... and as you say... FAST!

Les
    p.s. getting better fast but resting tonight and not pushing my luck illness wise.

2 people like this.