1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3D and Robo C2

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by J_Man, Jun 29, 2017.

1. J_Man

J_Man Member

I finally made the purchase to get Simplify 3D. Mostly for my Duplicator 4S. I'm glad I finally did it as the 4S is quickly becoming one of my top favorite printers now. Funny how a simple program makes that much of a difference.

I'm trying to set it up with the C2 now. The last update for Cura didn't do me any favors. I was getting good prints before that, but now supports are welded to the print, there's layer shifting, all sorts of bad things that didn't happen before. But trying to run Simplify 3D, it wants to push the data on the comm 4 port and even though I told it a C2, it's linking to the R1+. I even hit print and it just went straight to the R1+.

How do you make it see the C2? Both printers are connected to the same computer. I have had issues with MatterControl even fighting for the comm 4 port and just not seeing the R1+ because the C2 was taking the port. Can it be manually changes somehow so that the C2 is it's own port and run it in Simplify 3D? I'd also still want to use Cura for certain things as well.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have not had the C2 connected directly in so long I totally don't remember.
    We use OctoPi to front the printer and just use Simplify3D for slicing.

3. J_Man

J_Man Member

I guess I'm not sure how to do that. Is there a walk through somewhere for it?

4. J_Man

J_Man Member

It apparently will connect fine to the R1+, but I'm fine with Matter Control for now. I mostly use that printer for the big stuff. I think that's probably the issue too with the C2. Since it's running through OctoPrint, I'm guessing Simplify 3D just isn't seeing it correctly.

5. J_Man

J_Man Member

I sent an email to the help address. I figure maybe they might can give me some info. I've been Google searching for days and haven't found anything about the comm port issue. I guess they use the same board so the computer thinks they are both comm port 4 and using OctoPrint maybe bypasses the comm port for the C2 so it allows it to print? If I'm understanding the issue correctly. There's gotta be a work around somehow.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The C2 does not even have the correct style of USB cable connections to plug in a standard cable (because it would be like plugging one computer into another). So your only real option is to connect to it via WiFi and use OctoPrint. You can slice with whatever and then let OctoPrint handle printing it. Even the Robo bundled Cura talks to OctoPrint and not to the printer control board...

J_Man likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you know the IP address of the printer simply type that into your web browser and you will be connected to OctoPrint.
    You then slice the model in S3D and export the toolpaths to disk, then upload that file to OctoPrint. It supports drag-n-drop if you have the browser open on it or you can click upload button and do it that way. It will then be in the queue and you can tell it to print.

J_Man likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OctoPrint is directly connected to the printer control board (because it runs on the Pi) so internally it knows what com port on the Pi that the control board is using. You do not need to deal with that.

J_Man likes this.
  9. J_Man

J_Man Member

Ok, thanks. I'll give that a try. I had saved a file to a USB drive and tried loading it up. The Z coordinates were off. It ended up being too close to the bed and wouldn't print. It also had done the bed leveling like normal and heated the extruder. It ran the line at the front and then dropped the bed all the way down and brought it back up to bed level again while dumping filament every where. I don't know what that was all about, but I only tried it 2 times then stopped trying.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You need to use the Z offset wizard (on the LCD) and the Z offset fine tuning wizard (also on the LCD) to get the Z offset correct. Then you will leave the startup GCode block in simplify3d pretty much just blank (unless you have some custom LCD prompts or the like you want included).
    No G28, no G29, no M565, etc. OctoPrint handles all of that.

11. J_Man

J_Man Member

Yeah I have the z offset fine when it's setup in Cura. I was testing a print now that's been going over an hour and so far no shifts and I have the supports turned off. So I'm thinking it's something with the support settings that got messed up when 2.5 installed.

mark tomlinson likes this.