1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Simplify3D help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Wikid, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Wikid

Wikid Member

Hey guys, so I upgraded to Simplify and need some help with this coming from Cura.

First off, my first layer, it adheres OK most the times, It is squishing the material but not sure how much it should be getting squished. What bothers me is that I have gone from no squish to dragging the nozzle on the plate and the width of the lines never touch each other. Do you guys normally increase your first layer width over 100%?

In Cura my first layer height was .2 but I had the head lowered to about where I am now so it squished it much more as more material was being extruded.

[​IMG]

Also for infill most areas have the same problem, mostly the first couple of layers have this issue where I can see through them. The upper layers tend to be warmer so the melt together, Do you guys increase your infill extrusion width over 100%?

With these being % if I go over 100 will it just extrude more material to try to get to that width?

PLA, 210-205, 65, 60mm/s, .1 layer

I've calibrated the extruder 3 times now always getting right around 100mm of extrusion. In simplify I have the extruder set to .4 nozzle, 1.00 extrusion multiplier, and .4 extrusion width on manual.

Wikid

2. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

check your settings. things are a little re-arranged in s3d. Ensure you're using the settings that you intended to.

You have to set your z axis offset in the G code. But probably had to do that in cura. There are some default settings S3D uses. also, %s are probably relative to the slice engine.

3. Wikid

Wikid Member

That is where I adjust my Z for the first layer. It really seems like the infill is too far apart, how does the infill extrusion width % work? does 150% make it extrude to a .6 nozzle width?

Wikid

#3 Wikid, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

no. that's not how it works. Basically look at it as increasing steps per mm. So if the basic slice called for 50 steps of filament to be extruded and you bumped it up 10% you'd get 55. I don't know if that is exactly how it maths things out, but its the same effect.
    It can compensate for some distance if you're not perfectly on with your first layer.

If you have all your settings right and your infill is looking too far apart. Ensure you're set at 100% on your extruder and also check your Z offset. re-calibrate. If you're using the matter control "1" its probably a bit off.

Also... if you print on tape (which your picture shows you do) well, firstly, enjoy it. Its not needed nor best. Secondly, ensure your tape covers the whole bed and isn't wrinkled or overlapped.

5. Wikid

Wikid Member

Ive re calibrated everything, both my Z height and extruder. I print both parts from Cura and Simplify and the infill comes out much better in Cura(closer together). As for the Tape its the easiest thing I have found to put on my build plate, hairspray and glue are annoying to clean off. This issue is not just the first layer either, any full infill layer does not fill. There are gaps between every pass.

Wikid

#5 Wikid, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  6. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it is just the infill, what is your infill percentage set to?
    It has less to do with extrusion width and more to do with infill % I imagine.
    Simplfy will alternate patterns to achieve a close an match as possible (mathematically) to your requested infill %.

Gaps in the infill itself can be normal.

8. Wikid

Wikid Member

AH Ben thanks, I did not realize that when the extruded filament pulls back to the nozzle it may be clogged, I heated it up to 230 and ran 100mm through it and it pushed out a bunch of black crap and now looks to be flowing straight. Gonna run a test piece to see how it does.

Should probably go back through my extruder calibration again.

Apparently it decided to clog itself right when I decided to switch slicers... anyway noob issue thanks for the info though!

Wikid