1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Size of screws securing hotend?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SoLongSidekick, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

I was reading the melodybliss FAQ while replacing my hotend with an E3D v5 and figured I would go ahead and replace the screws holding the hotend in since they have a reputation for easily stripping. The FAQ lists the screw as an M3 x 25mm with a .5 pitch. For some reason I pulled out the caliper and measured the screw and this is what I have:

[​IMG]

While I'm not positive how these screws are measured, it is pretty clear this is not 25mm long. I am pretty sure socket cap screws are measured from just under the head to the tip, which in this case is 14mm. Do I have a different extruder model or is the FAQ out of date?

2. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Yes the screws strip very easily. I took the mangled mess to my local hardware store, pointed said mangled screws and said replacements please. I have no idea what I got but they fit
    Etc. I would suggest replacing out anything you can because it's becoming very evident the Chinese quality control was rather slack in some areas. Screws are cheap, a failed component that eats another component isn't cheap :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

M3-16 might be a little short but could probably work. M3-25 is appropriate

#4-1" would work as well

4. SoLongSidekick

#4-1" Imperial? Interesting, Home Depot doesn't carry M3 in my area. I measured the threads and they are 15mm so I think 16mm would be perfect.

So I assume the 25mm would be sticking out a bit?

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah in essence though it depends how much you thread it in. The plate is around 25mm long so you could screw it all the way in if you want but having it stick out is nbd

#4 imperial screws are really close to M3

Ace hardware sells a ton more metric stuff than Home Depot. Hope this helps

6. William

William New Member

I use imperial socket screws and they work fine. I cut off a ball point wrench and use it with my screw gun/driver to easily put them in and take them out. I think this is the only thing I could possibly contribute to in the forum.

7. SoLongSidekick

Are you using #4s?

8. William

William New Member

I was afraid you were going to ask; I just measured it and it is. I will say that it holds the e3d hotend in, but it does allow it to turn in place. The hotend doesn't move at all, but can rotate if that makes any sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.