1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Snap goes the Filament.....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by OMG Really!, Nov 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

Just when i thought it was to print - my filament is stretching and has not had this problem, well until now, anyway. My thoughts are its too thick but its not so.......... anyideas?

Is printing always this technical?

2. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

previous half english thread is that way because i have a great talent at hitting the wrong pc keys and sending it before corrected. 3.5finger typist. Apologies. It should says '...it stretches then snaps.....' Filament size at break point is close to 1.75, so fat filament is not it, and on checking there was no blockage. At this rate a robo3d holiday is looming for sake of my sanity. Some folk are surely pulling their hair out surely. Me no head hair!:) too much info?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have had mine break in the extruder mechanism (before swapping to the improved hobbed bolt). Never outside of that. It would seem to get bound up feeding into the print head and break in there. It was walking off of the hobbed section I think. Not an issue often and not at all since swapping to the better hobbed bolt.

4. Mattchu

Mattchu Member

I had it happen twice to me, OMG. Both times it was related to the same issue: the spool got tangled on itself. Both times I didn't see a snap. I did however see my x-axis jump, and misalign a print. I grabbed one of the solutions of thingiverse, some bearings, and threaded rod and hardware. haven't had an issue since. The spool I got with my machine will still find it's wire catching, usually if I unwind it and rewind it, it won't be an issue for several prints.

5. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

what does a good on-( hobbed bolt) look like?

6. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

Thanks Thamer - for the hobbed bolt, now in the mail................while I am on a shopping spree, does anyone have a source for better screws used to tension/tighten the filament in the extruder, like screws with wingnuts or other alternative to chasing lost springs and washers on the floor?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, those springs and washers kinda suck :)

2 people like this.
  8. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Is there a reason why purchasers of the Robo 3d printer have to replace the Hobbes bolt?

Why doesn't R3d incorporate that change immediately since there are problems with the original hbolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

Peter K. for other technical issues I had a reason to receive a new extruder/hot end just on Christmas from R3d and to my pleasant surprise the bolt has recessed grooving - although I had ordered and received a new one (eBay), so now have two. I also jumped at replacing the hot end too after being pointed to an E3D (not cheap) which is a 'hot end on steroids,' http://e3d-online.com/E3D-HotEnds, yet to install.

Thanks Peter, you have prompted me to get back on Forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.