1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

So, you've mastered PLA...

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by P1RATA, Nov 16, 2013.

1. P1RATA

P1RATA New Member

I think I've mastered PLA (at least this spool). I've succeeded in printing some very delicate, high-resolution pieces.

[​IMG]
    This is the Julia Heatwave Vase by Virtox on Thingiverse. It is a single-perimeter print done on the spiral vase setting so it was just one continuous extrusion spiral. The wall is .68mm thick and the layers are .1mm high. I love this thing.

I'd like to move over to ABS. I've read countless posts telling people to start out with PLA, but I can't seem to find a comprehensive post that walks you through the change. I know there had to be more to it than just print-surface prep and upping the temperature.

Can anyone give me some guidance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

It was that simple for me.. Change the print head temp and bed temp.. I actually didn't change how I prep'ed the bed as I used hairspray for both type of filaments.

3. Thamer Albahiti

Thamer Albahiti Active Member

looks great

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Nice print!

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

there is little change in the process what the major change is getting the prints to stay flat.
    PLA cools slowly so it tends to stick together and to the bed a lot easier but ABS cools rapidly so things happen differently.
    With ABS layers 5-10 could be much hotter than layers 1-5 and the change could be VERY siginificant so much so that it can cause the print to warp and peel itself right off the bed.
    IT can also cool so that the layers themselves have trouble sticking to each other.

6. P1RATA

P1RATA New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I gave it a try and I'm having okay success. I'm using hairspray and the models are not lifting...in fact, I have to be careful not to break them while removing them from the bed.

I have A LOT more trouble with the hobbed bolt with the ABS, so I'm putting my printing on hold until I get the new bolt from eBay.

The jury is still out on ABS...I love that I can weld and polish it and the resolution is amazing, but the pieces seem to break really easy. I suspect that I have weak layers due to the poor extrusion, but it could be a cooling problem.

I hope I get better at it...I found a source that was liquidating their stock of filament so I got a bunch of ABS for really cheap. That could also be my problem, but I doubt it's the filament...when I hand feed the spool the printouts are great.

Interestingly enough, I have more success with ABS in the high-quality setting. I can't see the layers at all. The lower resolution in ABS just gets really junky looking with a lot of clumps.

I'll report any updates when I get my new bolt installed.

So, the good news is that ABS is not as technique sensitive as I thought it would be, but the native hobbed bolt is causing a ton of failures in ABS, I'm lucky to get two layers if I'm not hand feeding the spool. With PLA I could get about four inches of build before the filament jumped track.

I will probably try to find some AquaNet hair spray because the stuff I'm using is almost too aggressive in its hold.

I've used the lifehacker technique to vapor polish and the models get really shiny.

All issues aside...I LOVE MY ROBO3D! I'll replace the bolt and practice more, why not!?

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Well the weak layer is an aspect of ABS in that it is probably connected to the temp you are extruding at it is picky sometimes it could also be humidity as well although the weak layer occurs with PLA at the wrong temps also

8. Thamer Albahiti

Thamer Albahiti Active Member

i wouldn't write all that from an iPhone :)

9. P1RATA

P1RATA New Member

I wondered about that. But it's hard to nail down the issue right now because my hobbed bolt is so unreliable. I live in a really humid area, so I may have to take extra measures.

10. P1RATA

P1RATA New Member

I've got nothing but time while I'm waiting on these printouts ;)

11. bushisan

bushisan New Member

What temps R you running on ABS print
    Head and bed
    I keep getting clogs at higher temp and stringy on lower temp

12. P1RATA

P1RATA New Member

I'm using the default ABS settings from MatterControl. I believe it is 215 for extruder and 80 for the bed.

My experience is that ABS is just always really stringy. My best results are always in PLA.

I have also found that the quality of the filament is super important. I bought a bunch of cheap filament and I get a lot of failed prints in both ABS and PLA. When I put a good roll of filament in, most of my printouts are great.

13. ssshake

ssshake Member

can you post a high-res copy of that pic. I need to zoom in on that and study.

14. P1RATA

P1RATA New Member

I think the forum is compressing the photos. I didn't compress the picture before I uploaded it.

I can email the pic to you. Just message me your email address. Is there something specific you are looking for?

15. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

LOL how much of a "mastered" required to print a vase ?
    No support no over hang and wide flat base at the bottom.
    Absolutely not challenge if you ask me.

I printed so many spools of PLA i lost count :) Its cheap for me caz i make my own filament.
    What i want to know is if there is filament like ABS that prints like PLA :).

ABS is designed to warp, so how can one overcome what it was designed to do ?
    Heat bed does help to fight initial curling, but not warping.

Anyone knows any ABS alternative that i can buy in pellets ?