1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solder the hot end?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by WizardStan, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WizardStan

WizardStan Member

So the yellow wire connected to the hot end extruder came loose. Pulled it cleanly out of the heat shrink tube. Cut things open until I could get to where I could reattach it.
    Is it safe to just use regular solder or is there something special I need to do? Also what kind of tape was this yellow stuff? I'll need to reapply it since I had to cut it all away.

2. Drew Eby

Drew Eby Member

You should just be able to solder it right back with regular solder. The tape is kapton tape.

3. WizardStan

WizardStan Member

Cool. That's what I'd assumed but didn't want to go through with it until I had someone else to blame if things go wrong. ;) Pretty sure they won't, the solder joint is a safe distance from the actual element.
    I've been meaning to get kapton tape, I'll have to do that this evening. I've been using up my stockpile of painters tape so haven't really needed it.

2 people like this.
  4. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

HA!

2 people like this.
  5. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Doesn't the hot end get hot enough to melt the solder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. WizardStan

WizardStan Member

I've run it for several hours without issue. It's not soldering to the hot end itself, there's a heavy gauge wire about 4 cm long which runs up the tube which had another wire connected to it.
    My actual concern was that traditional solder would have a higher resistance than whatever was used previously and make it impossible for it to heat up, but sitting at 250C for 20 minutes didn't seem to have any problems so my fears were unfounded.
    It did do a scary spark when I first made contact, and the fan kicked on and wouldn't shut off (I really should have unplugged it first, electronics 101 duh) but disconnecting everything for a few seconds fixed whatever had happened and it's been running well ever since.

7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Don't worry solder won't have enough resistance to cause any voltage drop as long as it is a clean joint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.