1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Some observations on PLA filaments

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Godman, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Godman

Godman New Member

Some things I've noticed trying to use Robo3D white vs. blue filament:

- White seems to prefer a first layer of about 198 degrees, second of 185
    - I adjusted extrusion rate to 105% for white, which seemed to help... was having "thin" filaments that didn't quite reach each other

I don't know if the white is marginally thinner, or if the melting point is higher, or both.

- Blue works fine with 190/180 & 100% extrusion.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I would look at the widths of the different extrusion aspects first layer, infill etc. before playiong with extrusion adjusting that could mask other issues you are having or will have. I have had my printer for several months and really haven't heard of an under extrusion issue yet it always turned out to be something different.

A simple good test is the printing of the 15mm cube do it with 100% infill and 100 extrusion and then look at the side of the cube if they appeared to be bowed out then you are extruding too much filament for a given distance if they are concave then you are extruding too little. If they are reasonably flat then your extrusion rate is pretty good at 100%

2 people like this.
  3. Godman

Godman New Member

I'll do the calibration. You're right. I think that I was compensating for a z axis calibration that was too high, which in turn was the consequence of compensating for the wrongly installed z axis home switch. Now that the home switch is reliable, I made the clearance on the first layer smaller, and I got a nicely smooshed first layer, and good follow-on layers.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Congrats if you have any questions on getting that part setup contact me I have helped many people get it done quite well Skype is actually faster as we can IM and even share screens if need be if you want look me up and send me a contact request withyour user name here so I know who you are LOL my contact info is Jeff Janes or jj.tesseract