1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Some tips I've learned

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Aspiring.Edifier, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aspiring.Edifier

Aspiring.Edifier New Member

I got my RoBo3D late in the summer of 2013, but it's only recently that I've started to be mostly satisfied with the quality of my prints. Along the way, I've picked up some tips and tricks by trial and error and by reading what others have done (including lurking in this forum). Here they are:
    • Get the right tools (like calipers and feeler gauges, as mentioned in a post here)
    • Set the zero-height of the z-axis properly, as described in the RoBo3D guide
    • Measure the actual diameter of the filament you're using and enter that in your slicing software
    • Activate the slicer setting to avoid crossing perimeters when not printing
    • Design with "printability" in mind; think of the Pyramids, not the Leaning Tower of Pisa
    • Your printing surface needs to give good adhesion. I find blue painters' tape wiped with isopropyl alcohol works well
    • Another factor for good initial adhesion is a thicker base layer (e.g. 0.35 mm)
    • Post-processing, even if it's as simple as trimming off loose strands, always improves the look of your prints
    • Unless your printer is very well tuned, leave a tolerance of 0.4 mm or more in your designs
    • Getting the right print temperature is important; I use 185 C, but I'm eager to hear any better suggestions!

I've expanded on some of these things on my blog: http://danbscott.ghost.io/best-practices-for-3d-printing/

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

>Getting the right print temperature is important; I use 185 C, but I'm eager to hear any better suggestions!<

I concur. There is a sweet spot where it works beautifully, but I have seen that vary from one spool to another just a bit. Once you find though the prints work/look so much better.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.