1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Spool Roller

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by William, Apr 19, 2014.

1. William

William New Member

This is easy and works really well. The rollers are sliding door rollers and have a grove perfect for the edge of the spool. The rollers can slide to adjust for different widths of spools. Only a wood saw, hack saw and drill are needed. The rods are just press fit into the wood.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  2. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

Nice! Looks like a different take on the typical style using skate bearings. Also got a chuckle out of your Robo looks nice, you like printing with out the casing on it?

2 people like this.
  3. William

William New Member

Thanks! I didn't know about the skate bearings. I have to go through a long process of bad ideas before I get something workable. That would have helped. Hanging the spool just wasn't working for me and then I thought about solid roller rods (conveyer rollers) and then I stumbled on these grooved rollers in the hardware store, Eureka! Yeah, I couldn't see what was going on very well under the hood and couldn't adjust things easily; the hood had to go.

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

That metal frame is a mod though right? It doesn't look like it is connected to anything. What is it's purpose?

By the way, I am a huge fan of the 'DIY from what I happened to have laying around or see in the hardware shop' approach.

2 people like this.
  5. William

William New Member

Hey Matt, Originally the frame (stainless rod) was meant to hold up the cable bundle and the spool. Now it just holds the cable and provides places to clamp a light to. I'm fortunate to have a tig welder; I welder washers to the ends of the rods that are secured by the bolts. I'm a nightmare for the staff at the local hardware store. I'm usually looking for a solution that has nothing to do with the purpose of the products there.

4 people like this.
  6. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

haha William sounds like a true diy-er i like it!

2 people like this.