1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

spool sizes

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dbvanhorn, Mar 12, 2015.

1. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

I am about 1000 miles from my printer at the moment. Normally i use inland filament. What size are the spools typically? Tried google but no luck. I want to buy some containers for dry storage like tupperware but i need the sizes.

Thanks

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. Frankn

Frankn Member

I have an old cardboard box that holds my spools of filament. Each spool is in a Ziplock bag which has one of those dryer bags in it. I squeeze all the air out just before I 'zip' it up. I use gallon size bags. Cheap insurance. I guess I always go for utility over fancy. Frank

4. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

Thanks! I did some shopping, and I may have a candidate that will fit. I use ziploc bags now, but I have a cat who puts holes in bags.
    He thinks filament is THE coolest cat toy.

5. Frankn

Frankn Member

Come on, make the cat some interesting toys. It will forget all about those bags. LOL Frank

6. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

Found a pretty good answer. Home Depot sells a white 2 Gal bucket and lid that seals. $3.58 for the bucket and $1.48 for the lid. Fits three spools neatly, with maybe 3/4 inch left over for a partial.
    The space up between the rolls has a glass flower vase half filled with Lithium Chloride (Ebay) the most aggressive drying agent I know of. They stack neatly, and the only downside is they aren't transparent so I have to label.