1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Stainless Steel vs Hard Chrome linear rods

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by albert3d, Sep 4, 2019.

1. albert3d

albert3d Member

I went to part https://www.partsbuilt.com/robo-parts/ site and see they have linear rods for R1+, C2, and R2 machines but there are 2 types (stainless steel and hard chrome). Which was the stock rod type and what is the advantage of the other? Just curious if anyone has had any experience or knowledge of these two types of linear rods. Would like to get some new ones for my R1, but would like to get the better of the two. Thanks.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am sure that the stock ones were likely stainless.
    I honestly can't think there were be a big difference between them since that is a low-load/low friction usage.
    stainless steel is ... steel, wear is decent (not as good as hardened steel, but still -- steel). Chrome does not have the wear characteristics of steel, but if friction alone was the key chrome might have a slight advantage.

albert3d likes this.
  3. albert3d

albert3d Member

Thanks Mark. That makes sense. Hard Chrome sounds to be the better replacement. I also see that they are carrying 6mm and 8mm X/Y axis for the C2. So must have had a production change at some point in the mix. I know mine are all 8mm, but I think you mentioned yours are 6mm in the past. Maybe the KS version was 6mm.

upload_2019-9-4_14-9-5.png

#3 albert3d, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

My C2 has some 8mm but mostly 6 mm rods. The R1 series was all 8mm, the R2 is all 8mm.
    I do not know if that is a consistency thing in Robo had them made or what. Personally I would have used 8 mm for all of them.
    I can't imagine a savings worth chasing by making the C2 6 mm.