1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Still can't get a clean first layer...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kevin Bruckert, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Bruckert

I've run out of settings to try changing... The first layer outline is *great*, but the infill always gets messy (see image below). The image included actually is one of the *best* results I've gotten, despite me killing the job and it dragging the hot end. Also, ignore the skirt, I used that to fine-tune my Z-axis to the best of my knowledge. If I go any higher, it doesn't stick. If I go lower, I clog.

Watching closely, it appears like it keeps trying to print the same infill lines twice (or too close together) and this makes the hot end pick up some excess filament on its side. As this builds up, it gets to a tipping point and leaves a chunk on the print.

Help?

robo3d-sticky.jpg

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

To me it looks like Z is too low for the first layer height. When I see that I reach in and turn one or both lead screws clockwise a tiny bit (<1/16 turn) until it smooths out. What are you putting on the bed for adhesion? If you get through the first layer how are the others?

"...looks like it is tying to print same infill twice"
    This is normal from my experience. The lines are very close and the first layer needs to be pressed on so there is always overlap of adjacent lines.

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

When my skirt is so thin that is is transparent then I know that this excess will happen.

4. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

I have the exact same problem. The first layer is perfect and then the second one does not stick to the first one.

SteveC, turning the Z stop screw will not help as the same as turning both lead screws ?

[​IMG]

5. polylac

polylac New Member

@Kevin

what are your settings? for example layer height? extrusion ratio? or line width?

@sebrobin

your pictures looks not the same at all...
    how high are you above the print bed on the first layer?

6. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

I took the picture several minutes after the second layer started this is why maybe it seems different.
    I took the zero with a paper sheet (I thought it was better than the visit card). Then I followed your advice by turning clockwise the lead screws. I Thought it was improving at the beginning as the skirt lines were straight instead of making very small waves. But at the end I have the same result. I think it is even worse now as the second layer tears the first one from the bed.

I'm lost...

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

@sebrobin, Looks like you answered your question for me - yes, the lead screw and z stop make the same height adjustment except the the lead screws can be adjusted on the fly. It's hard for me to tell from the photo but it does look like Z is too low for the first layer. Marks photo it what it should look like. If you are adjusting the Z stop screw for the height only at the front corner XYZ home and your bed is tilted then it could be too high in the middle. If using Repetier Host you can home the Z at any XY location to check this.

9. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

My problems are fixed thank to Tesseract.

The first problem was that the two rod support of the z axis were broken.
    I don't know how but they are quite fragile. I put epoxy on them and it solve the first issue.

The second problem was bed leveling. I did not realize it was supposed to be that precise.

Thanks Tesseract

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.