1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved stl file trouble

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert T Loewen, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Robert T Loewen

so i have an stl file that i want to print but the slicer is missing the text and was wondering if someone could help me get this figured out. One of the AA groups I go to every week found out I have a 3d printer, (i told them) and showed them an example of this file and they were really impressed that my robo 3d r1 could print something that small, the file has already been scaled down to actual size(x and y are 34 mm z i can futz with if needed) and we would like to make a small customization to it to add our group (which is sjc primary purpose 7pm) so we can eventually make special versions for out of town visitors and for other special reasons. also i did some math and a 1 kg roll will get me 420 or so even with screw ups and learning other materials

Attached Files:

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

The issue when you have raised letters is that you are printing with a .4mm nozzle. Anything that is narrower than .4 is not printed. You will need to either go with a .25mm nozzle or look at other means for doing the lettering. I've seen some change the nozzle size in the slicer to a tad smaller than actual to get past this, but your mileage may very.

3. danzca6

Actually looking at the layer view at .25 nozzle diameter it is still not showing the full letters. I had to go down to .15mm (which E3D just released) to see the full lettering.

4. Robert T Loewen

Ok so I have to exaggerate the z to get it to show for now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. danzca6

nothing to really do with Z settings. It really comes down to nozzle diameter. I guess you could resize to be a bit larger. That should stretch/thicken the letter lines enough. Won't be actual size, but might be all you have for now with the .4 mm nozzle size.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes as @danzca6 says this is not a layer height resolution issue rather a layer width resolution issue. You can't do much about that without changing the nozzle. Anything you do in the slicer alone to affect this is gaming the system :)