1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Stock spool holder fix

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Comp Jock, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Comp Jock

Comp Jock New Member

I'm not sure this is a "mod", but it addresses an issue that almost all new ROBO 3D owners have had.

I've had my R1+ for less than a week and am at the moment only playing with different software and settings. Multiple rolls of filament will be coming this week and I am using the supplied roll that comes with the printer. After the second time the spool "walked around the corner" onto the support arm, I had to find a way to keep the spool on the rod. Searching this forum only led to answers of "print your own" or "I bought this holder". But, I wanted a way to use the stock holder until I get a new holder printed.

SpoolHolderFix.jpg

My solution was a "coaster" dvd I had sitting on my desk and a piece of tape. I opened the hole of the dvd to a little over 1-1/8" to fit over the flared end of the stock holder. Since there is no pressure exerted on the dvd, the tape is all that is needed to prevent the spool from wobbling off the edge.

I apologize if someone has already suggested this type of fix (I could not find it), and this is more than adequate to hold the spool until I print a new holder.

Thank you to all on this forum for modifying this good little machine, and thank you to ROBO 3D for implementing a lot of the mods into the upgrades of the R1+.

Bob

Randy Solomon and danzca6 like this.